leader 'tails' disappeared

i'm not sure 'tail' is the right term. but as you can see from the screen capture, they all suddenly disappeared on me. any idea what i might have done?

Capture.jpg

you've be a life saver if you can help me! :oops:

someone suggest the Multileader settings, but i dont think that applies to these leaders. the only style i have under multileader is standard, and any chages i make dont effect the leaders.

it's Autocad 2011.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dadgad

• amorican

• SLW210

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Enter QLEADER at the commandline, then enter S for settings,

and you will see the LEADER definition dialogue box.

My guess is that your maximum number of points for the leader has been

set to 2, perhaps while using a lisp program which was cancelled midprocess, thus leaving your setting changed. and unrestored to your previous setting.

Set it to 3 or more, and you may want your tail set to land horizontally?

The multileader settings also include similar options, but as you pointed out QLEADERS are not MULTILEADERS. :wink:

adjust maximum leader points.JPG

thx dadgad.

first, thanks for showing me these settings. completely forgot about them. unfortunately, they are already set the way you recommend. and when i change them (just to see what happens) nothing happens.

any more ideas?

It sounds to me like they may be ANNOTATIVE, which I never use.

If you click on one of them, and check PROPERTIES, what does it say it is?

What layer are they on?

Did you create them, and know they are QLEADERS, or might they be MULTILEADERS drawn by someone else,

which you assumed are QLEADERS?

If you just change the settings, I don't believe the way they are displayed will change, you will need to redraw them to have those changes applied.

annotative is set to 'no'. i dont know for sure how they were drawn. i'm thinking i copied them another drawing.

the problem is, they've been fine forever....then WHAM, something happened and i can't figure out what it is. if i have to go back and draw all new leaders....well, tomorrow is gonna be a looooooong day. :(

Has this drawing been saved on Autocad 2013 perhaps?

Or might you have copied them from a drawing which was?

Can you post a bit of the drawing, with any proprietary info stripped out, I will be happy to take a look at it for you.

All you would need to do is make a copy of it, and delete the majority of it.

If you post it I am sure we can figure it out.

Did you confirm that it is a QLEADER?

You might POSSIBLY be able to use the MATCHPROP (match properties) command, if you can create one how you want them to be, then select them all.

The STANDARD style of MULTILEADER created the style which I suspect you are missing, which includes a predefined horizontal LANDING (tail).

You can quite easily check this hypothesis by creating one, and I suspect you will agree with me.

I am not sure, but since you say they previously looked differently, I still suspect that these might have been affected by possible exposure to Autocad 2013.

I can't figure out how else they might have morphed into straight leaders, they don't even do that if you EXPLODE them.

You can recreate them by using the standard MULTILEADER style, although you will want to make some minor modifications using the MULTILEADER STYLE MANAGER,

which you can find on the end of the MULTILEADER toolbar.

the one thing i am sure of is autocad 2013 hasnt touched any part of this drawing file.

so, are you telling me i need to recreate all my leaders?

I have seen 2013 do some weird things, if you know it didn't do this, cool, but I have no idea what might have done it then.

You can either fix them, by copying a little LANDING around to the end of each of your leaders, which is obviously a workaround, or redo them.

Copying the LANDING around would clearly be faster, but a bit cheesier too.

Should you choose to redo them, or perhaps if you don't, before doing another drawing you might want to look at the MULTILEADER options,

where you can specify so many things. The text which you show as separate entities can be included and automatically attached within the MULTILEADER definition, and given

whatever stylistic attributes you want, size, font, distance offset from LANDING, etc.

How many leaders are we talking about here?

Either way, if the MTEXT is already done, the leaders shouldn't take long, if you want you can snap right over the existing ones.

that was going to be my next question, if i choose to redo them, and for future reference - what kind of leaders are the best way to go nowadays? sounds like you are telling me multileaders?

as for this project, i might just go and slap tails around where i need to fix them. it is what it is. but i really appreciate your time. thank you.

If you do one STANDARD MULTILEADER right now, I bet you will look at it and go.......ahhhh my leaders are back!!!!!

But I don't think the standard includes the attached MTEXT, but it just takes a minute to set up how you want it.

You have so much control setting your style up.

You won't have to worry about this happening again, as you will be comfortable and quick making your own new leaders each time.

Or you can save some to a tool palette too, as another approach.

Make sure you go through each tab and check out ALL of the available options,

so you get them set up just how you want them. :)

custom multileader style.jpg

MULTILINE STYLE FOR INSTANCE.jpg

so, do you think i should delete the 'broken' leaders and put these new multileaders in front of the existing text? do these new leaders need to be 'attached' to some new text? sorry, not sure if 'attached' is the right word. in other words if i put a new leader in front of the text and move the text later - keeping the arrow in the same place - will things to haywire?

also, is mirroring a multileader to point from the other side a bad idea? or should i draw a new one?

i should have dug in before asking some of the questions above. i just set the Content to None for this case of existing text. drawing new multileaders won't take terrible long...but it's a hassle for sure.

that said - holy crap, these multileaders are GREAT!

If you used the standard multileader style you could just leave the existing MTEXT and orient you multileaders to them on the fly, approximately.

If you create a multileader style I would think you would want to include the attached MTEXT, as it is always perfectly aligned, spaced, justified, etc.

The way they were the MTEXT and the LEADER were 2 distinct entities, and would move independently.

With one of the MULTILEADERS, they could be a unitized entity.

You could mirror one of them if you wanted, I think the MTEXT would be okay, have to check the justification after you do it.

Somehow the associativity was lost between the leader and text, use _QLATTACH to re-associate.

Use MLEADERS unless you save back to

Somehow the associativity was lost between the leader and text, use _QLATTACH to re-associate.

Use MLEADERS unless you save back to

oh wow, well that's interesting. when i reassociate, it's still not quite right. i'd have to grab the tail and drag it back to the text.

so i guess these are my options, eh?

man, i sure wish i knew what blew up my drawing. :(