Max automatically connecting everytime I select two or more edges

spittle

I deleted the edit poly modifier and re-did the work after adding another and the problem went away.

Not sure whether it was a glitch or a hot key I accidently pressed. I've been using the graphite tools a bit more recently - still don't understand all of them though.

Yeah, Max does weird things sometimes, so it's hard to tell if it's something you did by hitting the wrong key or if it's just the program being weird again. The other day I had a problem with my selection mode automatically changing. If I was in vertex selection mode, selecting vertices, and I accidentally missed the vertex and clicked on an edge or a polygon, my selection mode would switch to whatever I just clicked on and I would lose my vertex selection set. This problem was only happening on one object though. Everything else worked just fine. I spent a long time trying to figure out what was wrong, but as it turned out, it was the objects Xform. Once I reset it, the problem went away.