Real life fillet measurement question for autoCAD application

Dilettante

hi guys.

As you may have guessed I'm new to this forum although I have been following it for many months. I'm not an expert on AutoCAD yet but will hopefully will become one with the aid of this forum and your help.

I have a potentially embarrassing question about how to actually measure a rounded corner in real life. For example, I'd like to draft my Macbook Pro in 2D and so need to know what radius to enter in the fillet command. Is there a particular tool for this?

Thanks

Or, better, you can share your solution here for other people that may be in your situation later to benefit from your knowledge.

Sure. You simply draw a perpendicular line from where it just BEGINS to start rounding at the horizontal and vertical corners, which creates an intersection (though I wouldn't recommend drawing on your laptop). You then measure the distance from the horizontal or vertical corners to the intersection for the radius.

I have another question which I may as well ask here rather than create a new thread. When I want to insert a multiline text, the width seems to stretch all the way off to the right to infinity :D Does anybody know a way I can resize it to the width I want?

This is how it looks:

28h3p1e.png

I can't zoom out and resize it.

When you create your MText object you are prompted to pick the first corner, do so and then on the command line you have displayed the options Height, Rotation, ... Width, ... You are using 2013 so you can click on 'Width' with your mouse and then either pick the width of the text editor window or enter a width (in current drawing units) from the keyboard.

BTW you can change the default 'abc' displayed when first entering MText by entering 'MTJIGSTRING' on the command line and changing it to your own personalised string. But maximum 10 charachters.

MAke sure your system variables 'MTEXTED' is set to "Internal" and "MTEXTFIXED" to "0"

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately clicking the "width" option (after right-clicking) creates the same long text box as I showed above, despite specifying that I want a much smaller multiline box. so, dragging the width I want doesn't work, right clicking width and dragging doesn't work. Typing a number for the width however does work (i.e. the box isn't stretched like the screen shot in my previous post), but i'd much rather be able to drag the box than enter integers to create the box.

When you create your MText object you are prompted to pick the first corner, do so and then on the command line you have displayed the options Height, Rotation, ... Width, ... You are using 2013 so you can click on 'Width' with your mouse and then either pick the width of the text editor window or enter a width (in current drawing units) from the keyboard.

BTW you can change the default 'abc' displayed when first entering MText by entering 'MTJIGSTRING' on the command line and changing it to your own personalised string. But maximum 10 charachters.

MAke sure your system variables 'MTEXTED' is set to "Internal" and "MTEXTFIXED" to "0"

Thanks, worked