Creating Surveyor Plans

KelseySheffer

I am trying to take an alread existing plan that has all of the co-ordinates already on it and draw it in CAD. The problem i am having is that the plan i have does not give me a directions (North, South, East, West)

All i have is the shape of a lot with the lengths and the coordinates but when i type them into CAD @30.08'<_218 i donno what direction they are supposed to be. have tried putting in all the different ones but cad turns text box red and doesnt enter anything.>

I need help puting these coordinates into cad so they go in the correct direction and actually create a shape rather than go the wrong way.

yes. but i have tried puttnig in the direction that i thought it was and it doesnt do anything it just turns red.

When written like this, N218°25'48"E, it is referred to as bearing.

What turns red? Did you go to your UNITS command and set the Angle Type as Surveyor's units?

Those numbers are the distance and Whole circle bearing of the line. As Whole circle bearings always start from North as zero degrees and then turn clockwise, you have to do a bit of mental juggling.

Perhaps the easiest way to draw it would be in two stages. First draw a line, starting anywhere, and draw a line Northwards 30.08'. Then rotate that line by -218 degrees ( minus because you want to go clockwise and the default direction for AutoCAD is anti-clockwise). Then draw your next line from the endpoint of that line to the required length and rotate to minus the stated angle.

My computer died the other day otherwise I could send a picture.

Looking at picture "Units" Direction North 270, tick clockwise, Type deg/Min/Sec. eg Pick start pt your dwg a line at 88.96 long brg 77deg 26 mins 32 secs

= line pick start pt @88.96

there is a mixture of forwards and backwards in your brgs