A QA/QC checklist

Dan Johnson

So I love things to be standardized and have order (read: OCD) and I'm curious if others out there use a QA/QC checklist on their projects before handing them off to an engineer for review on milestones (30, 60, 90, 100%). I typically get rather embarrassed when I miss something little like have "text on text" or my water line is upside down so it reads "---M---M---" not right side up. So I've been thinking about creating a spreadsheet checklist that would allow me to check off items before I hand off the plans to an engineer. But after thinking about what I would put down it seems like I could go on forever with things.

Does anyone else out there use a kind of QA/QC checklist that they use or do you just glance it over and hand it off?

Not clinically diagnosed with OCD; more of self-induced (former Soldier). LoL

To help with your water mains (you're using C3D!), use an Alignment for your pressure mains, with an Alignment Label Style that reads "W" for your Major Station text at whatever interval you need (+50, +100, etc)... Just be sure to set your read bias to something like 110. That way, it's always plan-readable. :thumbsup:

Checklists are great; but a simple AcDb reactor would 'catch' newly created annotation objects and could attach an Object reactor to each (at drawing open too), such that if the *text's bounding box (+buffer?) overlap another's the Object's color is turned 'red', etc. just a thought.

This way, rated than isolation layers or printin hard olives to check an action item off your list, you can trusts that saving a drawing with no 'red' text is sufficient. It would allow you to focus more on design issues that positive negative space and overlapping labels.

I typically get rather embarrassed when I miss something little like have "text on text" or my water line is upside down so it reads "---M---M---" not right side up.

That is one of the number one things I hate to see :)

Does anyone else out there use a kind of QA/QC checklist that they use or do you just glance it over and hand it off?

Go over it myself.

I've seen QC lists like these before and they were almost universally hated by everyone.

Personally I think if you want too, create a list of common drafting checks you make and pin that to your office wall. Then after checking a plan just glance at the list which should jog your memory if there was anything drafting related on that list that wasn't on the plan and should be.