Multiple Visual styles in 3d

pbooth11

Hey ppl,

I am wanted some help if anyone maybe able too?

I want to create 2 visual styles for buildings in autocad 2011, I have the main building then a proposed extension to it! I want to show the original building in say x ray visual style n extension in realistic, does anyone know if this can work?

Someone told me I could do something in paperspace using polygonal viewports, but unsure how to do this?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Are you familiar with paper space and the use of viewports? Do you realize that each viewport can be assigned a different visual style?

Hey ppl,

I am wanted some help if anyone maybe able too?

I want to create 2 visual styles for buildings in autocad 2011, I have the main building then a proposed extension to it! I want to show the original building in say x ray visual style n extension in realistic, does anyone know if this can work?

Someone told me I could do something in paperspace using polygonal viewports, but unsure how to do this?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Rereading your post I see that Someone did propose a way which could work.

If you create a viewport in paperspace and set up your view exactly how you want it, scale and everything, then LOCK it.

Now in your PAPERSPACE trace over the lines of differentiation between the old and the new and creat a closed polyline, which you will be converting into a single viewport, which will have whatever visualstyle you want it to. That breakline will also be the edge of a second distinct viewport which will contain the other phase of the project, and the other visualstyle which you want to use. These viewports should be on a nonprinting layer, set up for Viewports.

In the -VPORTS command you can choose the OBJECT selection method to define those polylines as new viewports.

That should do you. be sure to set up your VIEWPORT VIEW first, and remember to LOCK them because it would be a bit tedious to have to redefine it with every minor change of scale or perspective.

Hi

Thanks for the advice, I didnt actually think about the different viewports as I didnt think I would be able to position them correctly?

Dadgad - im unsure what you mean with your response? do you mean trace over the building then define the visualstyle i want? i just dont know how that works if i have got two 3d buildings?

Thanks again

Paul

The viewports for the two halves of the building will have to share at least one common boundary (i.e. - where the buildings physically connect to one another).

Hi

Thanks for the advice, I didnt actually think about the different viewports as I didnt think I would be able to position them correctly?

Dadgad - im unsure what you mean with your response? do you mean trace over the building then define the visualstyle i want? i just dont know how that works if i have got two 3d buildings?

Thanks again

Paul

Each of the two phases of the project will be displayed in a distinct viewport, with a distinct VISUALSTYLE and they will share a common border, like ReMark said.

In that way they will look like they are in a single viewport, but you can get the differing visualstyles you wanted.

Hi

Thanks again

Paul

Are you showing the buildings in orthographic views or iso views?

In either case if you have used unique layers for the new work then you create a viewport for existing and new, freezing and thawing layers to display only one or the other. Then you apply the visual styles for each.

As for aligning viewports, you can easily snap to the objects in model space while moving the viewports. For orthographic views I like to get one viewport setup, copy the viewport right on top of itself. Then grab a grip on one side and stretch that across to the other side, so if you grab a grip on the left side you stretch to the right all the way beyond the right side. You have perfectly aligned viewports.

Rough example of mixed visual styles. The red object is shown in a Realistic style and the object behind it is in X-Ray style.

MixedVisualStyles.jpg

I used a method similar to the one employed in this thread:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?24633

to get a Viewport in a viewport. One of the advantages to using that technique is that the VPs stay coordinated. See animation.

It may not exactly fit the bill, but it is interesting nonetheless.

I realy like to know how the "Viewport.zip" animation has been done.

It can't be region, as the little vport seems to move around easily!!

SEANT, that is very interesting, like picture in picture on the one eyed nanny, very nicely done.

Viewport freezing carries the day, eh? :beer:

I realy like to know how the "Viewport.zip" animation has been done.

It can't be region, as the little vport seems to move around easily!!

Hoss, see the attached, it is done slightly different but simpler with the same end result.

viewport in viewport.dwg