What makes a great Technical drawing?

Pablo Ferral

Hey, I just quoted the guy I didn't write it.

If you don't know the meaning of the word accurate you might want to think about a career that either involves throwing horseshoes or tossing hand grenades. LoL

I know the meaning of the word ACCURACY, do you?

As you eluded to, Accuracy is relevant to the subject at hand, hence "horseshoes and hand grenades".

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• Pablo Ferral

• Tyke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"They must be so clear and complete that every one of the users arrives at exactly the same interpretation."

That's a great quote ReMark - well done :)

To put it very simply, you can draw it right, you can draw it fast, or you can draw it pretty. Sometimes you can hit two out of the three.

As with any document, keep your audience in mind.

I know the meaning of the word ACCURACY, do you?

As you eluded to, Accuracy is relevant to the subject at hand, hence "horseshoes and hand grenades".

To add to that point with landing large government contracts a quick way to not get any more in the future is to have jobs delayed because of contractors filing complaints that they lost the bid because their estimate was by your drawings and the contractor who won is not installing what your drawings specified.

Not saying to give inaccurate information but in certain situations it is best to just give enough information to convey guidlines, saftey requirements, etc... and let the contractor decide how to meet the end result.

The problem with letting the contractor decide is sometimes they get carried away and the city/state/government gets billed for something they did not need or want or the contractor botches the job so badly he has to be removed from the project and another contractor has to be brought in, at a higher cost, to remedy the situation. Some, not all, contractors will take short cuts to increase their profit at the expense of the client. I was on a job where the contractor punched a water line through a storm sewer manhole rather than go around it.