Squashed text

Ive recently started using Auto CAD Mechanical 2013 (product design suite) and have been having real issues with certain types of text. Either when opening up an existing drawing or by pasting text.

The text characters overlap each other. This can be resolved by changing the line type width factor from 1.00 to 1.01 which seems stupid.

This does not happen with all text.

Has anyone had similar problems, any fixes?

Edited by G-Man

Just a thought....since all geometry has an x, y, z. Maybe the z is not set to zero???? I had a similar issue with a line type that had text in it that was snapping to a z coordinate that was not zero.

Thanks toberino but Z is already set to zero. Its must be somethig to do with the width factor as when you go in to the text style editor and change this it corrects the problem. But surely i shouldnt have to go into this and change it everytime i open a drawing. bizarre

Welcome to the forum. :)

I would suggest that you set up your current TEXT STYLE defined WIDTH as.9,

and include the TEXT STYLE definition in your default .dwt template, assuming that you probably use one.

Are the texts which you are copying annotative?

In model or paperspace?

You should be able to select all of the TEXT items, I would use my QUICK PROPERTIES palette to filter select those,

and confirm, or adjust all of their STYLE settings to be your desired STYLE.

text style width factor.JPG

Welcome to the forum. :)

I would suggest that you set up your current TEXT STYLE defined WIDTH as.9,

and include the TEXT STYLE definition in your default .dwt template, assuming that you probably use one.

Are the texts which you are copying annotative?

In model or paperspace?

You should be able to select all of the TEXT items, I would use my QUICK PROPERTIES palette to filter select those,

and confirm, or adjust all of their STYLE settings to be your desired STYLE.

Thanks Dadgad,

I have set up my DWT as suggested,

The text styles are not annotative.

The problem occurs when opening supliers, customers drawings that previously used to open fine in AutoCAD lt 2009. Its already slightly annoying that everytime i open a drawing that i have to enter the text style editor and change it to 1.01 or 0.9 etc..i.e. something different from the std 1.0.

Is there a way of changing the text settings of drawings that are non native ie someone else has created, in the main options maybe?

Thanks

There is no way to do it in OPTIONS, nor with system variable settings that I am aware of.

Like I said in my last post, I would change the STYLE or the WIDTH in my QUICK PROPERTIES palette as shown in the image.

My guess is that if you just change the STYLE to match the one in your drawing, that the width issue will be resolved without further heroics.

I suppose you could create an ACTION MACRO to do this with the ACTION RECORDER in your right click shortcut menu, that would be quite simple, or add a lisp to your startup suite to do it.

I would probably still do it as shown, as it only takes a second to do it this way.

I understand full well your frustration at having to do anything at all, as you did not previously have this issue with 2009. :beer:

quick properties fix.JPG

There is no way to do it in OPTIONS, nor with system variable settings that I am aware of.

Like I said in my last post, I would change the STYLE or the WIDTH in my QUICK PROPERTIES palette as shown in the image.

My guess is that if you just change the STYLE to match the one in your drawing, that the width issue will be resolved without further heroics.

I suppose you could create an ACTION MACRO to do this with the ACTION RECORDER in your right click shortcut menu, that would be quite simple, or add a lisp to your startup suite to do it.

I would probably still do it as shown, as it only takes a second to do it this way.

I understand full well your frustration at having to do anything at all, as you did not previously have this issue with 2009. :beer:

Okay thanks Dadgad,

I guess im going to have to do that for now, until there is a better resolution.

Maybe I need to swap back to AutoCAD LT !! LOL

Thanks

Pretty easy to see how that could be problematic. :)

It would be more helpful to have the dwg file.

Even if you just uploaded what is visible on these images, in that way we can look at all of the

potential causes of the problem.

Pretty easy to see how that could be problematic. :)

It would be more helpful to have the dwg file.

Even if you just uploaded what is visible on these images, in that way we can look at all of the

potential causes of the problem.

I have the option to upload images and videos, but there doesnt seem to be an option to upload files. Is this because i am still restricted on my newbie membership? If not how is this done?

Hi G-Man.

I opened your dwg file but on my PC, I couldn't find a problem with the texts.

Here is a screenshot of your drawing...

01.jpg

Hi G-Man.

I opened your dwg file but on my PC, I couldn't find a problem with the texts.

Here is a screenshot of your drawing...

Yeah it worked on my previous package AutoCAD 2009 lt, and i have never had a problem on previous machines either. I did swap computers so it may be related to a hard ware issue. I just dont know?

Thanks

Yeah it worked on my previous package AutoCAD 2009 lt, and i have never had a problem on previous machines either. I did swap computers so it may be related to a hard ware issue. I just dont know?

Thanks

This is a screen shot from my comp.

text.jpg

...I would suggest that you set up your current TEXT STYLE defined WIDTH as.9, ...
Be careful of this. I'd only use it if I use a SHX font. The TTF fonts tend to go a bit screwy when you start sqashing them with width factors. E.g. instead of making an Arial have a width of (say) 0.8, I'd rather just use the Arial Narrow with width 1.0 - the text looks and prints much better if you use the later.

Here is an example of a problematic file.

[ATTACH]36508[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the assistance :D

I also don't see this happening on my PC. All I can think of is that there's something wrong with your PC's fonts. Perhaps some alternative Arial.TTF which doesn't work correctly with ACad. Try reinstalling the Arial.TTF by copying it from your Windows Installation Media into C:\Windows\Fonts (overwrite if prompted).

Otherwise it "might" be a graphics card issue, but this is a long-shot. Though I'd still try to upgrade/downgrade the drivers to adesk's recommended version. Also try turning hardware acceleration on/off - for some cards it's better to have it on, while for others its better to have it off. Quick way to check if it is a GPU issue, does your prints also show the text wrong?