Gantry Crane 3D Model

kwrightMTC

Hi All,

I'm looking for a 3D Model of a Gantry Crane.

I'm building a conceptual model for a construction project and I have no details but need to show something.

Does anybody have anything that could do the job?

Something like this... http://www.gantrycranechina.com/images/products/2012032415172437162947w1000h1000ushaosong/hd-electric-single-girder-overhead-crane.jpg

Ha! Always more fun to draw it myself. But I have modelled precisely zero cranes before this and I didn't have any drawings to work from. My bosses favorite thing in the world is to tell me to model in something I've never seen or heard of before and when I ask for some drawings to work from he usually replies with "nothing confirmed yet, think conceptually"!

Fortunatley I have sorted it out now. I modelled the girder, unistrut arms for carrying the cabling and the crane hook and I found a model of a motor and drop down control panel. It looks good!

Thanks anyway!

My bosses favorite thing in the world is to tell me to model in something I've never seen or heard of before and when I ask for some drawings to work from he usually replies with "nothing confirmed yet, think conceptually"!

HA! That is my favorite situation! I work at a forge plant and we have parts that we rarely make. Some of them Yokes for heavy machinery. We have no CAD files of these tools, only scanned blueprints... None of our vendors are willing to take on the job without a model, so I have been asked to draw them up! Never have I done anything like them before. Pretty time consuming.. Check it out.

2-T17010.jpg

Congrats on getting it all figured out! Lets see it!!

photo 3.JPG

Wow, nice work JPlanera. Must have taken some patience!

I don't deserve much credit for the crane. My input was a UB steel section, some stays and unistrut.

But anyway, here is a screen print from Navis http://i.imgur.com/iBr3C.jpg

Not a rendering. Model is nowhere near complete yet. Been working on it for a week and so far have all the steel frame and civils work modelled for the structure, started to put staircases in and now this gantry crane. Eventually it will be filled with Vessels, Access Platforms, Bunds etc etc. I also will need to route all the pipework using the P&ID's as a reference, but only when engineering have finished with material selections.

I have much more complete models from the day job at home. Done a lot of MEP Coordination. Used to use the forum a lot but neglected it in the last year. I'll post some more stuff over the weekend if I find the time.

JPlanera: That must have been a bear! Very nice job.:thumbsup:

kwrightMTC: I like your attention to detail. Are those numbers on the keypad? LoL Very nice. You're talking my language when you mention tanks, platforms, piping and alike. I work in a small specialty chemical company and that's all we got around here.

Thank you, Gentlemen.. It was a learning experience for sure!

Crane looks great!! Would like to see it all when you are done!

ReMark: Like I mentioned previously, I've spent the majority of my career in MEP Coordination. A couple of years ago I made the leap over to Water/Sewage Treatment Plants. That contract came to an end after a year but the experience helped me to make another leap into a Process Engineering office.

I've got many models of access platforms. I spent some time designing them in GRP (also, Pipe Bridges, Covers, Hatches etc). Had to be mm accurate as the models ultimatley got turned into fabrication cutting lists and assembelys. Yep, thats right... I had to include every god damn fixing hole and then detail every piece individually. Such fun.

When I worked for a consulting engineering company I primarily drew wastewater treatment systems for municipalities and for industrial clients. Back then we did everything in 2D and it was all on the board! How I hated going from plan view, to elevations, then to sections and back every time a change was made to a building size, the placement of a structural member, a pipe or a piece of equipment.

We create our preliminary 2D fabrication drawings from 3D models but most of the big tanks and reactors are sent out for fabrication where invariably we will get an "as built" fabrication drawing back in 2D. Still, for some smaller tanks, platforms, stairs, and simple buildings we do it all in-house and mainly in 3D so management and the process engineers can have a better understanding of how it all lays out. Then it's extract the 2D views, add labels, dimensions and notes and it is off to our fabrication shop. Just finished detailing all the steel for a roof extension over a hazardous waste tank farm.

Looks like one big flat dust collector to me! Finally disassembled mine as it was just about to suffer a catastrophic failure due to all the junk I had piled on it. It will take its place in my museum of manual drafting memorabilia that I plan on setting up along some highway in Florida when I finally retire. "Come right in folks and see how drawings used to be made back in the glory days of drafting. Just a quarter to peek and fifty cents to linger. Talking to the proprietor will cost you a dollar."

Well that's me out of the loop. I'm still in my twenties. I thought drawing boards were nothing but a myth. AutoCAD 2000 was my first draughting tool!

I didn't realise I was talking to veterans of the craft!

You should see the drawings I did in granite with a cold chisel. The Chief Engineer had a few design changes so I went through a number of slabs before we got the solar system designed right.

• 1 year later...
Hi All,

I'm looking for a 3D Model of a Gantry Crane.

I'm building a conceptual model for a construction project and I have no details but need to show something.

Does anybody have anything that could do the job?

Something like this... http://www.gantrycranechina.com/images/products/2012032415172437162947w1000h1000ushaosong/hd-electric-single-girder-overhead-crane.jpg

Did a fast search got 6 of them (3 in 3d and 3 in 2d) i did for the shop 4 years ago.

But i dont share them sorry this forum is for help not to do the work for you, draw it from scratch it like i do in my spare time every weekends and come back if you have problem with issues drawing it give us a call.

Otherwise put the jpg in your plan.