+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Default 2d drawings to 3d

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

hi, am new to autocad, i wanted to know if i can convert 2d drawings to 3d ?. I work in the aluminium openings industry making doors and windows, i have all my aluminium profiles drawing in 2d.dwg and i want to convert it to a 3d model and then extrude it for a certain length so that it look like an aluminium profiles bars ? any idea how to do that, thanks....

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Hello, welcome to the forum.
    You will want to use the PRESSPULL command.
    After starting the command you will need to click inside one of your profiles to select it, then PULL it in whichever direction you want to lengthen it.
    There is a good video on this site in the BASIC 3D TUTORIALS section about the EXTRUDE & PRESSPULL commands.
    It only shows entry level uses of the EXTRUDE command, but is a good starting point for BASIC modeling.
    PRESSPULL is particularly well suited to easily creating orthogonal holes and voids in 3D solids.
    This one video will really be an eye opener for you, and totally appropriate for working with extrusions as you do.
    You should also work your way through the rest of the 3D Basic video tutorials on this site, to help you hit the ground running.
    As you start to play with 3D, I would suggest that you use an ISOMETRIC perspective, especially when creating and modifying
    3D entities, which you can access on the VIEWS toolbar or panel on the ribbon.
    Last edited by Dadgad; 12th Aug 2012 at 01:42 am.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Computer Details
    rkent's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    WIN7 PRO 64bit
    Computer:
    Dell Precision T7500
    CPU:
    Xeon Dual Core E5503 2.0Ghz
    RAM:
    6GB DDR3 ECC SDRAM, 1333MHz, 6x1GB
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro 3800
    Primary Storage:
    Samsung 480Gb SSD
    Monitor:
    Dell 24" FS (2x)
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    rkent's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Facilities Design - Semi-conductor manufacturing
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Designer: Process Piping, P&ID's, Machine Part Design, Planning / General Arrangement. Facilities Management. Drafting: Electrical, Controls, Architectural.
    Using
    Mechanical 2014

Dadgad, I wouldn't say PressPull (PP) is vastly superior to Extrude (EX) because I see them as two different tools with a little overlap. I noticed that the video showed only one very basic use of EX and didn't cover the many options available to use that PP doesn't offer. EX works on 14 different objects (open or closed), PP on 4. EX has options for Path, Direction, Taper Angle, as well as the option to make closed objects a solid or a surface. The path can be a line, an arc, or any one of 12 particular objects.

EX seems to be more for creating different solids or surfaces and PP is more for editing Solids, with the obvious overlap between the two. PP is certainly quicker for the boundary example shown in the video, and slightly quicker than first using Boundary command, and then extrude.

My comments are for 2013, older releases will vary.

What do you think?
    Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles. - The Stranger, The Big Lebowski

Luminous Being
    Using
    Civil 3D 2013

This same question was asked a couple of weeks ago by some one else, the suggestion then was create your shapes and EX or PP 1 unit high you can then use Modify to specify the length. Also look at Rotate3d.
    A man who never made mistakes never made anything

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

rkent, you make some good points there, for sure. Many of which I had never considered.
    Having learned 3D modeling using the EXTRUDE command, along with SWEEP and ROTATE, SUBTRACT, UNION, INTERSECT and all the rest,
    I would say that for typical rectilinear modeling PRESSPULL is a huge time saver.
    The ease with which it can be implemented is certainly helpful to those just getting started,
    although clearly there are instances where it will not be up to the task at hand, as you pointed out.
    The ability to PRESSPULL open and intersecting bits is certainly helpful, and drilling holes is sure easy, as they
    are subtracted in an island detection sort of way, without the need to generate boundaries and or create and subtract disposable bits.
    In my work I always model SOLIDS, so the surfacing features, while noteworthy and helpful, have less use for me.
    Having only started using PRESSPULL a few months ago, I found it to be a real eye opener,
    and I was amazed that I had written it off previously, as being for those who were modeling challenged.
    I like that it is an intelligent command, direct modeling is probably the term I am after.
    I love pressing a hole through a piece or an opening through a wall, in the blink of an eye,
    using a single step (two if you count drawing the shape).
    Dare I say, it is a rather MODERN command for autocad (you with me JD?)?
    I do like that PRESSPULL will now work on noncoplanar faces.

You are right, two different tools, with distinct pros and cons depending on their applications.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Using
    Inventor 2015

Presspull is vastly superior to Extrude.
    The ONLY reason to use Extrude is for Taper and Path with Taper.

.... or surfaces.
    Last edited by JD Mather; 12th Aug 2012 at 02:24 pm. Reason: add surfaces
    Certified SolidWorks Professional
    Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
    Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
    http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content..._Tutorials.htm

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro 4000, 2GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Let the debate begin.

You're response gentlemen?
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Discipline
    Electro/Mech
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

it depends on the drawing. both are useful command depending on the situation.