2d drawings to 3d

simplemind

hi, am new to autocad, i wanted to know if i can convert 2d drawings to 3d ?. I work in the aluminium openings industry making doors and windows, i have all my aluminium profiles drawing in 2d.dwg and i want to convert it to a 3d model and then extrude it for a certain length so that it look like an aluminium profiles bars ? any idea how to do that, thanks....

Hello, welcome to the forum. :)

You will want to use the PRESSPULL command.

After starting the command you will need to click inside one of your profiles to select it, then PULL it in whichever direction you want to lengthen it.

There is a good video on this site in the BASIC 3D TUTORIALS section about the EXTRUDE & PRESSPULL commands.

It only shows entry level uses of the EXTRUDE command, but is a good starting point for BASIC modeling.

PRESSPULL is particularly well suited to easily creating orthogonal holes and voids in 3D solids.

This one video will really be an eye opener for you, and totally appropriate for working with extrusions as you do.

You should also work your way through the rest of the 3D Basic video tutorials on this site, to help you hit the ground running.

As you start to play with 3D, I would suggest that you use an ISOMETRIC perspective, especially when creating and modifying

3D entities, which you can access on the VIEWS toolbar or panel on the ribbon.

Edited by Dadgad

Dadgad, I wouldn't say PressPull (PP) is vastly superior to Extrude (EX) because I see them as two different tools with a little overlap. I noticed that the video showed only one very basic use of EX and didn't cover the many options available to use that PP doesn't offer. EX works on 14 different objects (open or closed), PP on 4. EX has options for Path, Direction, Taper Angle, as well as the option to make closed objects a solid or a surface. The path can be a line, an arc, or any one of 12 particular objects.

EX seems to be more for creating different solids or surfaces and PP is more for editing Solids, with the obvious overlap between the two. PP is certainly quicker for the boundary example shown in the video, and slightly quicker than first using Boundary command, and then extrude.

My comments are for 2013, older releases will vary.

What do you think?

This same question was asked a couple of weeks ago by some one else, the suggestion then was create your shapes and EX or PP 1 unit high you can then use Modify to specify the length. Also look at Rotate3d.

rkent, you make some good points there, for sure. Many of which I had never considered. :thumbsup:

Having learned 3D modeling using the EXTRUDE command, along with SWEEP and ROTATE, SUBTRACT, UNION, INTERSECT and all the rest,

I would say that for typical rectilinear modeling PRESSPULL is a huge time saver.

The ease with which it can be implemented is certainly helpful to those just getting started,

although clearly there are instances where it will not be up to the task at hand, as you pointed out.

The ability to PRESSPULL open and intersecting bits is certainly helpful, and drilling holes is sure easy, as they

are subtracted in an island detection sort of way, without the need to generate boundaries and or create and subtract disposable bits.

In my work I always model SOLIDS, so the surfacing features, while noteworthy and helpful, have less use for me.

Having only started using PRESSPULL a few months ago, I found it to be a real eye opener,

and I was amazed that I had written it off previously, as being for those who were modeling challenged.

I like that it is an intelligent command, direct modeling is probably the term I am after.

I love pressing a hole through a piece or an opening through a wall, in the blink of an eye,

using a single step (two if you count drawing the shape).

Dare I say, it is a rather MODERN command for autocad (you with me JD?)?

I do like that PRESSPULL will now work on noncoplanar faces.

You are right, two different tools, with distinct pros and cons depending on their applications. :beer:

Presspull is vastly superior to Extrude.

The ONLY reason to use Extrude is for Taper and Path with Taper.

.... or surfaces.

Edited by JD Mather
add surfaces