Attempting to align parts of an assembly using a sketch.

MrMudd

Hello,

I've got a reasonably simple assembly consisting of three unique parts and I am trying to align a cut-extrude hole to the centre-line of the second part. Since a picture is worth a thousand words (I have also provided the sldasm file attached Sample.SLDASM):

Assembly.jpg

1 - The two red extruded holes are mated concentrically.

2 - As are the two blue holes.

What I am wanting to achieve is to align the yellow hole to the green construction line that is on the cyan plane of the extruded rectangle as demonstrated in the below image:

Assembly Result 2.png

Assembly Result.jpg

Such that the yellow hole is aligned on that plane with the blue hole. I do not want to change the placement of the yellow hole on that bar; however I shouldn't have to, as it is perfectly possible for that hole to line up exactly to the blue hole with the green construction line. The thing is, I'm struggling to achieve this without much trial and error.

Although I am playing with the idea of needing a construction line (green line), I may be on the wrong lines here, so if anybody has any better suggestions it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by MrMudd
Messed up the attachments.

Unless I misunderstood your example I don't see how this is possible. In order for the holes to line up the dimension from the centers should be the same on both parts, they are not. Am i missing something?

Sample.jpg

Hello bhamze,

My apologies, perhaps I haven't been clear enough. Do you see the piece which has the yellow hole, well that piece as it is concentrically mated (as shown by the two red holes) rotates around that red hole, which means that there is no reason for it not to be able to line up. Consider this:

Initial right and isometric:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Half way there right and isometric:

3.jpg

4.jpg

The hole now lines up with the other hole:

5.jpg

6.jpg

Oh that's the ticket! :)

Wow... Seems you can demonstrate a solution in under 1 minute for something I've been struggling with for a number of hours now... Thank you so much for your time and expertise, it really is appreciated! :)