LISP Introduction AutoCAD 2013

G-Man

Im wanting to learn how to use lisp comands with AutoCAD 2013. Been searching the internet now for the last hour and have struggled to find a good introduction on how to start using LISP's.

I wanted to use a LISP for converting text to attributes, found the correct lisp copied the programming text into a note document only to find that it needs to be saved as a certain type of file .lsp or something. I have no idea weather you can do this within autocad or need someother software? Is there a place where you can download LISP's?

Does anyone know of a beginners guide thats good to all of this?

Would be a great help

Thanks 8)

If you only look to run a third-part AutoLISP code found on Internet, then just paste it into a new text file (Notepad) and save it with LSP extension. Then check Lee's tutorials on loading and run of AutoLISP routines.

The AutoLISP environment and editor are integrated by default with AutoCAD, so there is nothing you need to download/install - please check the VLIDE command. Can use this editor to save the found code too.

It is really simple, just do like Mircea suggested, Lee Mac has a good description of how to do it on his site. :)

Once you understand just how easy it is, I suggest you go back and pay another visit to Lee Mac's site, and see all the great lisps

he has written and made available to those who need them. A personal favorite of mine is LAYER DIRECTOR, but they are all

great and will save you lots of effort and time. Thanks Lee! :beer:

RenderMan's suggestion is also a good one, particularly if you want to know more about how they work, and

possibly start creating your own, down the road. :)

• 2 months later...

Here is the one I started with:

AutoLISP in plain English.

This book will take you step by step right from the beginning with easy lisp samples to follow.

Good Luck and welcome aboard... :o)