OUTLINE and CLIP in AC 12 Lt

netman

You really need to consider getting full AutoCAD given the nature of many of your questions. In full AutoCAD there are lisps routines that can do exactly what you are looking to do.

Not in the budget right now. Our busy season winds down shortly and I already had to drop 2K on this new computer plus the new AC . Too many things around the house and shop that will need fixing before i can spend again on office equipment.

I am just trying to maximize out put from Lt and then look at advancement.

The INVENTOR software and training will not happen either.

I will have to make do with this for now.

Thank you for the input.

Not in the budget right now. Our busy season winds down shortly and I already had to drop 2K on this new computer plus the new AC . Too many things around the house and shop that will need fixing before i can spend again on office equipment.

I am just trying to maximize out put from Lt and then look at advancement.

The INVENTOR software and training will not happen either.

I will have to make do with this for now.

Thank you for the input.

Can't you still download and use the free INVENTOR FUSION from the Autodesk site?

Yes sir. I did download Infusion. i am convinced now that without proper training, I am not going to do what I want to.

...."a man's got to know his limitations." Clint Eastwood.... so true in this case of me learning 3D. I taught myself what little I know about AC. I don't think I can handle the 3D thing the same way.

My goal was and still is to offer extremely detailed graphics to my customers on some of the more intricate gears we sell.

I found out to my disappointment that few folks are reading the instructions and rather just perusing the drawings. End result, they get on the water and foul up the gear. This in turn gives our little business a bad rep as the ONLY report filed is that .....

"after numerous efforts, we could not get the gear to deploy properly"....

" the gear was not suitable for our needs".....

" we are re-evaluating the use of THIS hybrid gear for sampling purposes"...

etc., etc., etc.

In about 80% of the cases its user error and that is due to the user NOT reading through the set up instructions.

My thoughts were and stiil are, a nice, attractive layout ( possibly even a short animation) and less wording. Hell, I don't read instructions half the time, but I do look at the pictures. This is going to take my commitment to driving into town and paying for classes in these high end CAD programs.

Thank you for the comments. Lt is going to be OK for now, I just have to tweak my drawings a little more.

Yes sir. I did download Infusion. i am convinced now that without proper training, I am not going to do what I want to.

...."a man's got to know his limitations." Clint Eastwood.... so true in this case of me learning 3D. I taught myself what little I know about AC. I don't think I can handle the 3D thing the same way.

My goal was and still is to offer extremely detailed graphics to my customers on some of the more intricate gears we sell.

I found out to my disappointment that few folks are reading the instructions and rather just perusing the drawings. End result, they get on the water and foul up the gear. This in turn gives our little business a bad rep as the ONLY report filed is that .....

"after numerous efforts, we could not get the gear to deploy properly"....

" the gear was not suitable for our needs".....

" we are re-evaluating the use of THIS hybrid gear for sampling purposes"...

etc., etc., etc.

In about 80% of the cases its user error and that is due to the user NOT reading through the set up instructions.

My thoughts were and stiil are, a nice, attractive layout ( possibly even a short animation) and less wording. Hell, I don't read instructions half the time, but I do look at the pictures. This is going to take my commitment to driving into town and paying for classes in these high end CAD programs.

Thank you for the comments. Lt is going to be OK for now, I just have to tweak my drawings a little more.

If the great majority of your product failures are due to the FAILURE to read and understand proper deployment,

then you need to state that right up front, in no uncertain terms.

Presumably the product you offer represents a significant expense for your customers,

it is hard to imagine a skipper who is obviously in need of your product,

who is prepared to spend some money, in the hopes of making a lot more,

being unwilling to spend whatever time is required to ensure that he or she succeeds.

Clearly great graphics are a real time saver, and a very powerful tool when confronted

with the entrenched obstinance of the aforementioned old salts.

TOTAL CANDOR is essential. You need make absolutely clear, before you even accept the money, that the reason for 80% of your product failures is

directly attributable to FAULTY DEPLOYMENT (faulty meaning how they are used

to doing it, as opposed to how they have been ADVISED it needs be done).

Good luck. Old habits, unlike old sailors, die hard. :beer:

I think the problem could be solved if your customers got a video in addition to any written instructors. The video could be entitled, "How to properly deploy, use, and retrieve your HiTech Net (or whatever you call it)".

My customer base are marine biologists, oceanographers, water quality folks and some fishery and forestry mixed in.

The large amount of them DO read the PDF How-To files with the CAD drawings. Its that small % of folks who for some reason or another do not choose to read or carefully examine the instructions that cause me grief. Its for those folks i need to make an effort to reach and teach.

A major university asked permission to take a very detailed and proven gear we were developing to Florida for underwater testing and to video tape it. Green twine marks the FRONT, red twine marks the REAR.....were the only instructions. They installed it backwards...video taped it and then sent copies of the gear NOT working to hundreds of fishery personnel all over.....they never would send out a retraction.... we lost some serious business on that one and not one single sale of the device....ever.

Another towed a net upside down for a week.

Another lost the entire net and all hardware when he failed to follow splcing instructions and simply tied a knot where the How-To PDf said Never tie a knot.

Still another left 2 out 5 of the PDf's for his multiple gear project in the Pacific...on his computer. He said he thought they could just 'wing' it.

The stories go on and on.

The majority review the CAD PDF's and have great success. Its those others that I need to find a way to entice them to at least look at the instructions, whether they are written or pictorial. Yes, a video might work ...if they would actually take the time to review it.

Thank you all and have a nice week end.

Edited by netman

Is there a feature in AC 12 LT that lets you outline and clip just a portion of your drawing like PAINT has?

You could clip a viewport unless that is not part of AC12LT, or perhaps XREF if in and clip, again only if clip is part of LT. I hope LT is not that limited.

When you want something done right...do it yourself. You should have supervised the video taping of the demonstration. Don't trust something so important to others when your financial livelihood depends on it. Take charge.

The demonstration was by invitation only as was the trip onboard the research boat. My mistake was indeed letting the device leave the shop without me. At the time, I did not feel that Green in front, Red in rear was too difficult for a person with a decade of experience in fisheries and a Phd from a major university to understand. Obviously he either was not paying any attention or had someone else install the device with no instructions.

Regardless, it was a learning experience and from that time forward I kept a tight leash on any new prototype gear being evaluated.

Go IN the GREEN, stop on the RED. Seems pretty simple, eh? :)

Perhaps he felt that if there was a 50% chance it would be installed correctly, that was good enough?

A virtual coin flip was all it took to scuttle that product launch.

Threaten to take him to small claims court, with the video and a copy of your instructions, if he won't issue a retraction.

Intelligent enough to get a PHD, too proud to admit he made a mistake.

An unfortunate confluence.