Alignment of Sketch with Grid; Alignment of Model with View Cube

JillAW

Hi... I'm working with Inventor 2011. I received a part file from someone, and notice that when in Sketch mode, the part is not aligned as I want it to be. That is, the horizontal and vertical lines of the sketch are not aligned with the horizontal and vertical lines of the grid.

As well, when in Model mode,the View Cube is not aligned with the part as I want it to be. The "Front View" that the cube calls out is not orthagonal in relation to the part.

I can think of a few ways to address these problems, but I would suggestions as to what the most efficient ways might be.

I can attach a file if my question is not clear.

Thanks!

A little lateral thinking should get the job done. Firstly open the sketch. Find a corner point of your sketch and draw a horizontal line extending from it. Next use the dimension tool to find out what angle the line that should be horizontal is in relation to the line you have just drawn ( use the copy command if it is a long decimal. )Next use the modify > rotate command. Select a box around the entire sketch, next select the first corner point from before as the center point. Then just paste the angle into the angle box. Note you may have to make the angle negative , or use a little addition ie. 90 + 7.5564445 depending on how you took the original dimension.

In terms of model view, just rotate the view how you like, right click the home icon in the corner of the view cube > set current view as > front.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Let's say I get a part file from someone (please see attachment) and I want what the view cube is calling 'front' to be orthagonal to the 'front' of the model (see attached). That is, I want 'front' to be a square-on, orthagonal view. How best to align the model to achieve this?

Example_J1.ipt