Import Mixture of Alpha Nemeric Points - Use point numbers when numeric?

caddcop

Is it possible in Civil 3D to import an ASCII list of points, where some points have alpha numeric names and other are simply numeric, and have the numeric names used as the point numbers?

Edited by caddcop
spelling error

Doesn't seem that hard just throw it into excel first and change a bit if you use PENZD

point number

easting

northing

elevation

description

1002,123.45,567.89,123.45,tree05

only problem may be that numeric codes are read as library item so

1002,123.45,567.89,123.45,PT1002 would fix

I ended up changing my report that generates the list to remove the alpha characters. I did not add error checking to prevent duplicate points, but this was the first time in many years that I had someone use alpha numeric point names.

One of the biggest bug bears with Civ3d is setting up libraries/styles there is no easy dump to text file re import etc It would make it so much easier to do what you wanted even to simply add extra codes.

Depending upon your version -2010 or 2011, there is such a tool. Actually, there might be more than one, but the one I just found and really like is:

http://inmotioncon.com/c3dstgs.shtml

The file it creates for import or export has an extension of csgz - and can be opened with jZip or 7Zip or any of the other zip file clones. Then, in it are DWG files, and XML file and a CSG file - which also happens to be an XML file.

With the right tools, you should be able to copy and paste items within it and rename the copies to create many new styles very quickly. I use Notepad++ with the XML tools add-in, and have great success with editing XML files. But I have only recently learned of this tool so I have not had much of a chance to experiment. If you go the Notepad++ route, make sure you add the new file extension to its XML styler so it will display the syntax highlighting automatically.

Edited by caddcop
Additional information.