Survey Points, symbol scales, and xref's...

Supermanny73

In Civil 3D 2012 I set up a base drawing where I insert field survey points. The points come in with appropriate feature code symbols. These symbols (power poles, hydrants, valves, manholes, etc.) will scale up or down relative to the drawing scale.

If my base drawing is set at 1"=100' (thereby making my symbology 100 times bigger) and i reference it into a sheet drawing that is set up to 1"=20', how can I appropriately scale the symbology to be the right size (1"=20') in my sheet without having to change the scale in my base drawing?

Is there a way to make the point symbols annotative according to the drawing it is refenced similar to pipe networks?

You should not be rescaling field objects if a power pole is 300mm dia then thats what should appear no matter what scale you plot, a sewer pit lid is 1000mm never any bigger, our trees are tr01 tr02 etc so they reflect true size, the only objects we scale are the survey tbms and labels etc so they can be seen and the labels can be read easly.

We rely on our survey guys to pick up true size of objects so we can check obstruction distances.

Thanks, BigAl for your response. You do make a very good points, however, there are several things that our field surveyors pick up that need to be scaled up (or down) in our drawings for clear representation. Water valves, guy anchors, gas markers, and others would be way too small to be seen in some drawings if we didn't scale them up. But none of that is the point of my question.

If you have any knowledge of how I can accomplish the scaling issue of field point symbols I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Supermanny73

We just scale those objects so they work for the 95% otherwise you may be able to have a seperate dwt that has different styles with symbols at different scales just import and overwrite the style for scale.