Centre Line Graduated Every 5m

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, although I expect you'll see a lot of me now that I'll be using Autocad LT more frequently...

My current task:

1. I have two lines, they represent a winding footpath of varying width, I would like to create a centre line between the two (not just eyeball it in)

2. I would like the centre line to be graduated every 5m, with parallel lines that join/cross the shoulder lines

If the first task proves to difficult don't worry about it, I just need to know how to graduate the lines.

I thought of using the divide tool, but it divides the line into equal segments, can I nominate how long those segments are

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks

The width is varying... So I don't think that will work... How do I have the divide tool specify the length of each segment rather than the number of segments

Welcome to the forum. :)

It would be a good idea to change your software USING note to Autocad LT 2012 in your profile, to help us help you more effectively.

Otherwise people will offer lisp based solutions, which you will be unable to use with LT.

This solution

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?49709-Centre-Line-between-two-Polylines

was offered in one of the similar threads displayed in the similar threads box, but lamentably it

is a lisp solution too.

Welcome to the forum. :)

It would be a good idea to change your software USING note to Autocad LT 2012 in your profile, to help us help you more effectively.

Otherwise people will offer lisp based solutions, which you will be unable to use with LT.

Done, but I do occasionally have access to Autocad, when there's a network licence free... Although I would prefer to have a solution I could use in Autocad LT, as this function will be needed it most of my future projects.

The width is varying... So I don't think that will work... How do I have the divide tool specify the length of each segment rather than the number of segments

The measure tool allows you to specify the length, and if you use a block, which is a line at right angles to the centre line, you can always explode the blocks and then extend their lines to the edges of the path.

Search here for batter to two plines it will draw a 90 line to two plines, you would have to modfy it though as it draws tadpoles.

I have it saved as Batterticks

Ok so I tried the block reference, and it worked just fine although I had to edit 60 text items and change them manually... Would there be an a way to add successive increments of 5 to the text automatically

Too bad you are using LT, Lee Mac has a lisp which would save you having to do that, or

you could use it on one of the other stations perhaps?

http://www.lee-mac.com/numinc.html

I've not used this one before, and while I would expect no less from Lee, WOW!

If you get on one of the full Autocad stations, this one will really work well for

the task you have described. Look all the way down through the

different graphic examples provided of options available, I think you will be very happy.

Thanks Lee! :beer:

Edited by Dadgad

Don't thank me, thank Lee, he's awesome! :beer:

Take a look on his site, I will be absolutely amazed if you don't find a few more 'you never knew you couldn't live without'.

One of my favorites is LAYER DIRECTOR.

Another one I just noticed a couple days ago is the CENTERLINE,

which is really great for marking a hole drawing's worth of variously sized hole centers,

with parametrically sized associative center lines, all at once. :)