3d pipe question

084x4larry

Create the pipe O.D., offset for the wall thickness, use the Region command and create two regions. Subtract the I.D. from the O.D. then as JDM suggested use the SWEEP command and pick the centerline of your pipe run as the path.

Larry, remain calm mi amigo I wasn't trying to be a smart@$$, although my post was definitely too short so I can see where I misled you.

Now that I see you're in the structural discipline, AutoCAD MEP isn't what you're after as it's for the MEP disciplines. I thought you were after piping, such as large chilled water systems. Instead of AutoCAD MEP, you should look into AutoCAD Structural Detailing. Link here: http://usa.autodesk.com/autocad-structural-detailing/

This is, of course, if you want to use Autodesk's product. You can also look into Tekla, which I believe is considered the standard for structural detailing. This is a 3rd party add-on to AutoCAD if I remember correctly.

The reason I'm pointing you to these software packages is because if you're apart of any production work, then learning rudimentary 3D modeling techniques is the least efficient way to go. I knew you were probably inquiring about production CAD designing since you were so accurate in your measurements and sizes. Most people that are "monkey'ing around" with 3D modeling operations don't use this level of detail in their requests.

AutoCAD 3D modeling operations are great for free-form modeling needs. I agree no doubt, so they are great to learn. But if you're a designer at a company needing production, then a trade-specific software application will significantly increase your accuracy and output, which is why I threw out the AutoCAD MEP application. These applications work in your favor to automatically generate intelligent 3D components for your discipline, with very minimal increase in costs.

On a side note, regarding your comment about me being worthless is rather funny. I've volunteered thousands of posts and my personal time to help anyone I can on this board, that I've now been a member of for seven years and counting. Worthless is a laughable statement, coming from a new member who knows nothing about my contributions or knowledge in this great community. My apologies in advance for my short remark in my response but even in my jest, I was still giving you great advice. There are a ton of knowledgeable people here and the aggressiveness in your posts usually don't last long on this forum since this site is heavily moderated to ensure the mildness and professionalism is maintained.

This is a very fun message board and it is my favorite among the few that I'm signed up on. The above paragraph is not to create more quarrel but to simply warn is all. You will come away from each inquiry with so much knowledge from this forum it's unreal. This is the forum that taught me a ton in my beginning years. Enjoy your stay and once again my apologies in my short response from the first post I made.

:beer:

Larry, remain calm mi amigo I wasn't trying to be a smart@$$, although my post was definitely too short so I can see where I misled you.

Now that I see you're in the structural discipline, AutoCAD MEP isn't what you're after as it's for the MEP disciplines. I thought you were after piping, such as large chilled water systems. Instead of AutoCAD MEP, you should look into AutoCAD Structural Detailing. Link here: http://usa.autodesk.com/autocad-structural-detailing/

This is, of course, if you want to use Autodesk's product. You can also look into Tekla, which I believe is considered the standard for structural detailing. This is a 3rd party add-on to AutoCAD if I remember correctly.

The reason I'm pointing you to these software packages is because if you're apart of any production work, then learning rudimentary 3D modeling techniques is the least efficient way to go. I knew you were probably inquiring about production CAD designing since you were so accurate in your measurements and sizes. Most people that are "monkey'ing around" with 3D modeling operations don't use this level of detail in their requests.

AutoCAD 3D modeling operations are great for free-form modeling needs. I agree no doubt, so they are great to learn. But if you're a designer at a company needing production, then a trade-specific software application will significantly increase your accuracy and output, which is why I threw out the AutoCAD MEP application. These applications work in your favor to automatically generate intelligent 3D components for your discipline, with very minimal increase in costs.

On a side note, regarding your comment about me being worthless is rather funny. I've volunteered thousands of posts and my personal time to help anyone I can on this board, that I've now been a member of for seven years and counting. Worthless is a laughable statement, coming from a new member who knows nothing about my contributions or knowledge in this great community. My apologies in advance for my short remark in my response but even in my jest, I was still giving you great advice. There are a ton of knowledgeable people here and the aggressiveness in your posts usually don't last long on this forum since this site is heavily moderated to ensure the mildness and professionalism is maintained.

This is a very fun message board and it is my favorite among the few that I'm signed up on. The above paragraph is not to create more quarrel but to simply warn is all. You will come away from each inquiry with so much knowledge from this forum it's unreal. This is the forum that taught me a ton in my beginning years. Enjoy your stay and once again my apologies in my short response from the first post I made.

:beer:

ok thanks for taking the time to... i dunno, try to put the toothpaste back in the tube so to speak, it has not fallen on deaf ears i assure you. i dont really care for smart-@$$ remarks but i can see now that you did have some honest feelings about the usefulness of your response to my original question. now i know that there are all sorts of awesome and discipline specific software packages available and when i am in ready to research those i will inquire about that but for now im a working stiff stuck trying to make the best with what i got so i was hoping to get specific answers based on my specific question. i can see now that you are very knowledged in these matters and i do appreciate you taking the time to clear the air a bit. no hard feelings here bud. hey its friday right? thats always a good thing! have a great weekend. and once again i do appreciate all the extra information.

On to answer you original inquiry. There's no "best" way as there are many ways, but here's the way I'd do it:

1. Draw a CIRCLE that is 20" in diameter for the correct O.D.

2. Use the OFFSET command to offset the desired wall thickness (0.594") to the inside of the circle.

3. Start the PRESSPULL command. Hover the mouse in between the two circles and you'll notice the lines will highlight. Click once to initiate the extrude, and type in your desired height dimensions.

**EDIT**

Once complete, you can hold down the Shift key on the keyboard, and click-hold the wheel mouse button on your mouse. This is a shortcut to the 3DORBIT command, so you can orbit around your newly created model. To get back to a normal view, type PLAN at the command line. Hope this helps.

StykFacE, you are a gentleman and a diplomat my friend, nicely done. I thought you would go all "young Derek Vinyard" on him but instead you kept it classy.

Thanks Kent, that means a lot. In my younger days I would have. I have grown to understand that internet forums are completely anonymous. Granted, anybody gives me lip face to face with me and then it's a different story. My wife is very quiet and calm and definitely has taught me to control my patience through the years, especially since my daughter has arrived. I also couldn't get around the fact that my response was short and didn't actually help the original poster other than an indirect response to "better software".

Either way, love the Vinyard plug, that gave me a laugh!! haha 8)