2 surface comparison - best/easiest to understand visually

Guest DONTBEADICKUCADNERD

I have 2 surfaces that I need to compare. The client saw the surface contours and said it was "too hard to visualize" ugh.

I need to make them as visually simple as possible, even for a feeble mind. (Together or separate which ever is easiest.) Would I make it a mesh, solid or what? I'm thinking an isometric view is best, but would like an advanced 3d users input.

(First I tried CONVTOSOLID, CONVTOMESH but says it has to be a 3d surface, although; i'm pretty sure a surface is already 3d (x,y,z) right? irritating.)

So far here's the best I can come up with...exploded my surface to 3d faces, CONVTOSURFACE (i know:roll:), UNION them to one, MESHSMOOTH, then THICKEN and it still looks like crap. There has got to be a better way.

I am a survey drafter that almost always works in plan view. Please help me to find the easiest way to make this thing easy to understand visually. Thanks.

Thanks Dana W. for trying. You are a kind soul. I got it worked out. Just needed some advanced visual preferences.

To the rest: I researched all over your forum before I posted, and thought that alot of you (not all) talk down to those in need... either you demand more information because you really don't know a solution, or resort to nit-pick other issues that unnecessarily raise more questions, or just degrade legitimate questions from the get-go. "Friendliest forums" my *$$. Thanks for confirming my thoughts that you guys are jerks. If you are so ABOVE all of us in need, why do you even bother?

Remark, just from reading old posts...you come off as the BIGGEST ______ OF ALL TIME! Lighten up, k?

Assuming you are using Civil 3D...

Create two surface styles that display triangles only, each with a different color (maybe red and green?)

Set one surface to one style and the other surface to the other style.

Select both surfaces, right click, choose Object Viewer.

You may have to set the visual style in the Object Viewer to Conceptual.

Not sure what prompted my name to come up in this thread up but your comment wasn't called for. You want to PM me with your observations be my guest. I don't hide. I don't block private messages like some people do either. Be a man.

In the meantime, have a sparkling day.

ReMark

Sorry moderators, I cannot help myself.

OP, Your userid (which I refuse to type) told me not to respond to this thread, but I had to anyway, didn't I.

Your observations and opinions of this forum pretty much run against my grain, rub my heair the wrong way, and tick me off.

Save your personality problems for facebook and the other kiddies.

Bye.

you demand more information because you really don't know a solution, or resort to nit-pick other issues that unnecessarily raise more questions, or just degrade legitimate questions from the get-go.

In response to your comment about "demanding more information", yes, we do request, (not demand), that you give us as much information about your particular problem as you can. The more information we have to work with, the easier it is for us to solve your problem. We are not mind readers and we are not miracle workers. We can only work with what you give us. If you tell us "I tried to render my model but it just comes out black. What's wrong?" That doesn't give us much to go on, so we have to ask questions to find out about your lighting, materials, render settings, computer specs, etc., until we get all the information we need. Then we can start to figure out what's wrong. And sometimes that requires a few more questions back and forth until the problem is solved. Do you think your mechanic could diagnose a problem with your car over the phone if you call him and tell him "My car won't start, what's wrong?" No, he's going to start in with 20 questions in order to get all the information he needs.

As for the "nit-picking" and "degrading legitimate questions", you will have to provide examples of this type of behavior.

Above all else, if you don't like our forum and think we are "jerks", you are free to go. You are not bound by contract to stay here. Just understand that we will not allow you to bash other members of the forum. If you see something you don't like, report it and let us deal with it. Don't take matters into your own hands.

Please be respectful when posting in the forum.

Thank you

Not sure what prompted my name to come up in this thread up but your comment wasn't called for. You want to PM me with your observations be my guest. I don't hide. I don't block private messages like some people do either. Be a man.

In the meantime, have a sparkling day.

ReMark

Mark, I hate that you had to see someone post that about you. Your post count shows how much you personally devote through volunteering your own time to help people. I can't believe there are people in this world that feel the need to post insults in an anonymous forum without ever meeting you personally. I do not understand what the original poster wanted out of putting the spotlight directly on you. There's nothing personal about this board in it's foundation. You come with questions, and you get questions answered through the kindness of people who volunteer their time and that's where it ends.

I know people have had troubles with my avatar but anybody who puts a male genitalia along with an aggressive insult to CAD users as a defense as their avatar is not someone I'd throw myself at to help, that's for sure.