How to draw a site plan

BobbyJonesNCSU

I've never used AutoCAD before but I'm trying to make a site plan. I attached a picture of the property I'm trying to make a site plan of. Basically, it's a building that 59' by 92' that has a fenced in yard that is roughly a rectangle. I'd like to fit the site plan on regular 8.5"x11" sheet of paper. I know how to draw lines but don't know how to make them the right lengths. It doesn't need to be perfect with angles but I'd like to make it look nice with like a border and titles and such. I've been trying to read up on how to do it but I just get overwhelmed. Thank you so much in advance! Your help is greatly appreciated!

photo.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• BobbyJonesNCSU

• ReMark

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd like to fit the site plan on regular 8.5"x11" sheet of paper. I know how to draw lines but don't know how to make them the right lengths.

Draw it 1:1 - make the lines the same length they are in the real world.

Then come back and ask how to make it fit on a A-Size sheet.

Hmmm, someone else just asked the same question (or very similar) a week or so ago, but now I can't find the thread.

Is this a school assignment?

Do you want the surveyor's bearings or just a simple ortho size layout?

If the former you might want to become familiar with Units.

If the later then I would simply draw one rectangle for the building and one for the lot explode the lot rectangle and offset the right line towards the left and trim at top for the correct corner at the top left of lot. (I think you are missing one dimension - how far along the building does one of those two vertical lot lines start?)

Doesn't need to be perfect.

I would make it as perfect as the given information allows.

Search here for modelspace and paperspace and templates for instructions on how to create a layout border.

If you attach your dwg file of what you have attempted so far - I'm sure someone will walk you through the steps to completion.

Edited by JD Mather

thank you so much for responding! this is for work, I'm trying to help my boss who's doing a presentation in front of the city, My alma mater (NC State) has AutoCAD on campus so I thought I'd give it a shot. I will try my best with what you wrote back.

Sorry, what are surveyor's bearings? I drew 2 rectangles but I don't know how make them 192' by 142' for the fenced in yard (and then I guess I got to explode and trim like you were saying) and 58' by 92' for the buidling. I attached the dwg file if that helps.

SitePlan.dwg

I think I was able to figure out how to put dimensions on the rectangles. I just drew two rectangles and then right clicked them and adjusted the coordinates of the vertices. Hope I'm so far so good.

SitePlan.dwg

I think I was able to figure out how to put dimensions on the rectangles. I just drew two rectangles and then right clicked them and adjusted the coordinates of the vertices. Hope I'm so far so good.

You are doing too much work.

Start the Rectangle command and select the option for Dimensions.

Click first point and then enter the width and height dimensions.

Sorry, what are surveyor's bearings?

Surveyor's bearings will show how the lot is located relative to adjoining lots with angles.

In the example you attached you have simply show the size with vertical and horizontal lines which might be enough for your case.

Bearings.png

How do I go about printing it off and make it fit nicely in a 8.5 x 11 page? Can I add title like "108 Lee Court Building"? and my name and company "Bobby Jones- EQ"?

I would use the image in AutoCAD and trace everything I needed, then scale it to the correct size.

If you have the image from google earth then you use the IMAGEATTACH command or from XREF pick on the upper left icon image and attach it in the drawing.

Once in the drawing double click on the image border, a settings box should pop up, use the Fade and set it to 40 or 50%. Now you can draw right over the top of the image.

When you have what you want you can unload the image through the XREF palette or simply erase it.

If you go this route post back and someone will tell you how to scale it to proper size, although it may not be necessary for what you are doing.

I'm kinda confused. Is that method how to create a site plan from the very start? I'd like to use the file I've already started. It's all I pretty much need. I really appreciate the advice but it just sort of went over my head. The only part I don't know is do I need to do something to it before I print it? I'm trying to fit it on a 8.5"x11" page.

I'm kinda confused. Is that method how to create a site plan from the very start? I'd like to use the file I've already started. It's all I pretty much need. I really appreciate the advice but it just sort of went over my head. The only part I don't know is do I need to do something to it before I print it? I'm trying to fit it on a 8.5"x11" page.

Sorry to confuse things, I wasn't sure how much detail you were going to need on this.

So for printing, do you have a title block of any kind or do you just need it printed out?

If just printed out then pick on the print icon at the top or type PLOT, pick a printer, a your paper size, pick the What to plot down arrow and choose Extents, pick the box for Fit to Paper.

In the lower right there will be an arrow head in a circle, if it is > then pick on it, if it is

Finally pick OK.

There are lots of other settings in printing in AutoCAD but for this I don't think you will have to worry about them.

I'm trying to fit it on a 8.5"x11" page.

Hold on a bit and someone will come along and explain step-by-step how to get the border and layout printed correctly.

"I'm kinda confused. Is that method how to create a site plan from the very start?"

No it isn't. Tracing an image is nowhere near exact enough. Normally site plans are generated from surveys.

The OP stated he as drawn it as accurately as needed.

Taking this as "fact", the next step is to get it in a layout with border and appropriate scale and printed.

Yes I read that. And I suppose you would accept a drawing done with the same degree of accuracy using Inventor.

Edited by ReMark

I'm trying to help my boss who's doing a presentation in front of the city...

When his boss presents this - he will be instructed to hire a professional for the job and come back.

Maybe then he will be motivated to provide his employee with training.

Did anyone bother to make a trip down to the local building or engineering department to see if there was a plot plan already on file? Failing that did anyone bother to check for a plot plan on file in the town clerk's office? And does anyone have a copy of the deed to the property (also available in the town clerk's office)?

Who is this going to be presented before? Is it the Planning and Zoning Commission by any chance?