How to stick polyline to surface

iztok13

Hello,

How to project 2d polylines onto 3D terrain (surface)

I was wondering if its any possibility to stick a polyline with x,y coordinates, to surface x,y,z coordinates. So i can read z coordinates from poly witch is on surface ?

polyto surface.jpg

i have civil 3d2012 and PROJECTGEOMETRY doesnt work on my case i dont now why.it works like command but doesnt do anything ? I post a picture of my case. I have triangular surface, and i need to project polyline on surface (Q100). Any idea?

If you turn the model, you can't see the new lines then?

When I did it, it was very faint white lines that transferred. And they get projected at the view you are in, so you don't see them until you move the model around.

If you turn the model, you can't see the new lines then?

When I did it, it was very faint white lines that transferred. And they get projected at the view you are in, so you don't see them until you move the model around.

Perhaps changing to an isometric perspective and zooming extents might make them easier to see. :)

I have no knowledge of Civil3D, but in earlier versions of AutoCAD - Extrude and trim surface to the intersection and then xedges to extract the edge of the trimmed surface. (change active color first)

Ok guys, I find a solution:

1. existing polyline convert to featuring line from object

2. then this featuring line project level on surface

3. then explode feature line & i get 3d poly

yupee

thats it :)

• 2 years later...

But you have to change it to 3Dpoly first. that you can do via modify/Design dropdown/convert 2d to 3d. or simply write convert2d and rest of the command will show up