Arched Windows

David Bethel

Does anyone know if there are any 'standard' angles / swing points / formulas to form cathedral style windows simlar to this?

Thanks! -David

b4walls102.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Dana W

• Dadgad

• David Bethel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There may very well be classical standards for these. I tried googling some up without a lot of luck. I would suggest a visit to a college library and look at the books on classical Architectural design. I found particularly specific classic standards for door decorative trim that way. Whoodathunk ya just don't slap them things up there?

Betcha might find Mr. Fibonachi's ratio in them windows.

Well, I used "classical architectural design books", "Neoclassical architecture", stuff like that. I was hoping to find a particular classical design book that I used when working for a custom furniture maker. I can't recall the complete name of the book at the moment. It was a good one though. All I kept getting were sylibii for design courses.

I keep flip flopping on this, and just when I was reasonably confident that there really is a forum member named Mark who goes by ReMark,

I'm back on the fence ........ if in fact he ISN"T a BOT, that was a really remarkably appropriate link to pull up, for a mere mortal! :shock: :beer:

Well, I used "classical architectural design books", "Neoclassical architecture", stuff like that. I was hoping to find a particular classical design book that I used when working for a custom furniture maker. I can't recall the complete name of the book at the moment. It was a good one though. All I kept getting were sylibii for design courses.

Syllabi? :shock:

A left leaning etymological tidbit, if ever there was one. :D

Better lay off the SYLLABUB, bud, your greco-latin roots are showing. :beer: :playing:

You should see the website for gothic window design I found. It was so nice I might try replicating some of the designs myself and I don't normally do windows!:lol:

I'm not sure I want to post it just yet. You might steal the show with some really terrific 3D version of a window and that would be a real "pane".:lol:

Ah Ha!

• Start with the overall window size ( cyan )
  • Draw the circle ( magenta ), centered at middle of the top member ( c ) , radius ( x )
  • Swing arcs ( green ) from the intersection of the circle and outline, radius ( x ) (

Thanks! -David

arch.jpg

LOL! It's a good bit different. It's a wood trim that I'm reproducing from a clients photo. It is just the shape reminded me of the windows. :celebrate:

-David

ar-warch.jpg

cabint.jpg

Syllabi? :shock:

A left leaning etymological tidbit, if ever there was one. :D

Better lay off the SYLLABUB, bud, your greco-latin roots are showing. :beer: :playing:

There are two eyes in my syllabii, dude. Etymological? What's any of this got to do with bugs?

Left leaning indeed, maybe only in a hurricane.:lol:

I had tried a cup of syllabub at a renaisawhatzit festival but they messed it all up with a bunch of cream.:P bleh. Bleh. phhhsssssst pewee.

Actually there were 3 eyes and no A, lending new meaning to anatomically exceptional. :D
Aw jeeez, now I have to figure out which, if any, is speled cerectlay.

3 eyes and no A? I can think of at least one thing it won't need opposable thumbs for.