Autocad 2013 Begginer problems

fredericofrg

AutoCAD Ribbon 2D.jpg

The "Ribbon" is found at the top of your screen. It has several tabs with different panels on each tab. This version is for 2D Drafting. There is a different one for 3D Modelling. Above the Ribbon I have elected to show the Menu Bar which has drop-down menus under each heading. In the upper left hand corner is the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT). All these elements can be customized by the user to suit his or her own needs and work style.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• fredericofrg

• JD Mather

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

EXERCISE 1.4.jpg

Exercise 1.4 done using the LINE, CIRCLE and OFFSET commands found on the Ribbon.

The basic shape of the filter plate can be constructed in the same manner as the objects in the first two exercises (drag a line and type a distance).

Ribbon Line and Offset Commands.PNG

This is where you find the commands.

Why OFFSET? Despite the fact there are probably two or three other, probably faster ways of doing this, I think you are lacking in your knowledge of even the most basic commands let alone more advanced techniques. Maybe someone will be kind enough to create a video for you demonstrating another way of accomplishing the task using Polar Tracking and Object Snap Tracking.

See post #32 for an explanation of the OFFSET command. It includes an image as well as a sample drawing file to use to practice the technique I have described.

Edited by ReMark

EXERCISE 1.5.jpg

Exercise 1.5 can be done similar to 1.4 in terms of the linework and one of the two circles. For the second circle (on the right) I would use the MIRROR command and pick the Midpoint of the top line. This means however you will either have to key in the letters MID when asked for a base point in the MIRROR command or pick it if you have your OSNAPS set up with Midpoint enabled.

Common OSnaps most users enable are Endpoint, Midpoint, Center, Quadrant, Intersection, Perpendicular, and Parallel.

So for this exercise use the LINE, OFFSET, CIRCLE and MIRROR commands and you should do just fine.

OSNAP Settings.PNG

What the OSnaps "Settings" dialog box looks like. You can activate it by right-clicking on the Object Snap button in your Task Bar or by typing OSNAP at the command line then pressing ENTER.

EXERCISE 1.6.PNG

Exercise 1.6 is an easy one. Drag the line enter the distance and use the "Close" option to finish it off where the diagonal line is. Shouldn't take you more than 30 seconds. All you need is ORTHO mode turned on and the LINE command.

Start where indicated and proceed in a clockwise direction.

Skip Exercise 1.9 and go directly to 1.11; we'll come back to 1.9 later.

EXERCISE 1.11a.PNG

Exercise 1.11 is going to require that you enable and make use of the Quadrant OSnap. You can actually calculate the length of lines needed on each side to connect the two end circles saving you the time to Trim or Fillet (with a radius of "0").

EXERCISE 1.11b.PNG

I believe the diagram gives the wrong radii for the inner/outer large curves (or "fillets"). Use the FILLET command to create them.

You'll need to use the COPY command. Just make sure ORTHO mode remains toggled as you copy the circle 2.5 units to the left which can be entered at the command line.

Exercise 1.9 (Dorm Room) requires the user to utilize both SNAP and GRID. The extents of the room is defined by the coordinates in the lower left and upper right hand corners of the room. The GRID is set at 0.25 increments so to calculate furniture size and placement you will have to use your math skills. For example, the bed is 10 units by 5 units (10*0.25 and 5*0.25).

Exercise 1.3 will be a little trickier. You will first have to change the UNITS you are working in from DECIMAL to ARCHITECTURAL via the UNITS command. You will have to also set the PRECISION to 0'-0". From the note below the diagram I am assuming the student is to use Polar Tracking to draw the property line boundary.

When you finish all the other exercises we can tackle these two problems. But until then you have some work to do. I would like you to post an image of each completed exercise and don't be surprised if I ask for a copy of your drawing file at some point too. Be prepared. Good luck with your assignment.

Thanks ReMark for your help. (you were either taught very little, or you did not pay much attention in class.)

Just i think don't understand the class because i just learn basic english for 5 months before move to US.

Can i ask you one thing?

If yes in the start to the exercise 1.1 Baseplate i need use the command LINE and i need put the first line size? example 2.50 or i need specify one point to the line start and after this where i can put the first and second line size?

Thanks so much, i just start right now,again ^^ but now i know more things.

ReMark has given you the commandline input.

He tells you EXACTLY what to do in POST #14.

Read the entire post, make the hand sketch before you start drawing

the lines with the program.

MAKE SURE YOUR ORTHO IS TURNED ON before you start, just like ReMark says.

After starting the LINE command and indicating a starting point for it,

you will indicate the direction in which you would like the line to go by moving your mouse in that direction,

then you will enter the number (length of the line), and hit ENTER (not TAB). Your first line is now drawn,

FOLLOW THE COMMANDLINE PROMPTS, for the next line you do not need to restart the LINE command because it is still running.

Just move your mouse in the direction which you want the next line to go, enter the length of the next line, and hit ENTER again.

It is hitting the ENTER button which tells the program to go ahead and create the line which you have just defined.

You will do it after every distance (length) entry, before indicating the information for the next line.

To complete the last line in the drawing (of a closed shape) you may use the CLOSE option, for which you just enter C at the commandline, then ENTER.

Edited by Dadgad

Where in the United States are you located?

I would recommend that you skip Exercise 1.3 for the moment and move on to Exercise 1.4. You can go back to 1.3 later.

Bemidji-Minnesota just for 1 year.

After this i just move to Orlando,FL and start my real major is Visual Effects & Motion Graphics.

Regarding my instructions.

I wanted to make this as simple for you as possible so I have advised you to use a technique that calls for dragging your mouse in the direction you want the line to go (up, down, right or left) and typing the distance at the command line. This requires that for most of the exercises you have ORTHO mode enabled (the F8 key).

Start the LINE command and pick anywhere on your screen.

Now, look at your command line. Auto prompts "Specify next point or [undo]:".

Drag your mouse to the right and at the command line type the distance "2.5" then press the ENTER key.

Next, drag your mouse downward and look at your screen. AutoCAD continues with a "rubber band" affect as though it were still drawing a line.

At the command line type the distance "2.0" then press the ENTER key.

Now, drag your mouse to the right again and at the command line type the distance "2.0" then press the ENTER key.

Each time you press the ENTER key AutoCAD continues to prompt you for the next point. If you had the will and the stamina you could gone on like this until you fall asleep, hit the ESC to cancel out of the command or type the letter "C" for "Close" in which case AutoCAD will draw one last line for you automatically.

Do you understand this technique? Yes or No?

Have you spoken with the instructor yet regarding your difficulty using AutoCAD?

Is there any chance you can get someone to tutor you in AutoCAD?

Since you are in Florida and I am in Connecticut we are both on the same coast and in the same time zone. Most days I always check into CADTutor upon arriving at work which is usually around 5:30 a.m. I visit throughout the day and even when I return home up until about 7 p.m. (or a bit later if needed). If you need help with some aspect of AutoCAD come here to CADTutor and post your question. Give us as much detail as you can. The more information we have the better we can help you. There are many talented and helpful people at this forum who would be more than happy to assist you.

Finally, if you feel you need further individualized assistance you can send me a PM (private message) and I will do what I can to help.

Good luck in your class and your schooling.

Edited by ReMark

Using the OFFSET command.

Offset Command.PNG

Start the OFFSET command. Look at your command line.

AutoCAD responds: Specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] :

The number you see between the is the last offset distance used.

I want you to change this to .25 so that is what you will type then press the ENTER key.

AutoCAD responds: Specify offset distance or [Through/Erase/Layer] : .25 (AutoCAD has accepted your input)

Select object to offset or [Exit/Undo] : (AutoCAD is expecting you to pick an object to offset)

Pick anywhere on the yellow line, then move your cursor to the right and click your left mouse button. A second yellow line should appear. AutoCAD continues to ask you to select object to offset so pick the red line, move your cursor down and click your left mouse button. A second red line should appear.

Right click and from the fly out menu select "Cancel". The OFFSET command has been cancelled.

Start the OFFSET command again. Use the default distance of 0.25 previously specified (just hit the ENTER key to accept).

AutoCAD responds: Select object to offset or [Exit/Undo] :

Pick the yellow line then STOP!

Look at your command line.

AutoCAD has now responded: Specify point on side to offset or [Exit/Multiple/Undo] :

Type the letter "M" for "Multiple" then press the ENTER key.

AutoCAD responds: Specify point on side to offset or [Exit/Undo] :

Move your cursor and pick to the right of the yellow line. Keep moving your cursor to the right and picking five more times. When you are finished press the ESC keep (upper left-hand corner of your keyboard).

Think you understand how the OFFSET command works?

I have attached a DWG file for your use that includes the circle and two lines.

Offset sample.dwg

frederico:

Have you made any progress with your assignment?

I think this is a case of information overload - kind of like trying to get a sip of water from a fire hydrant.

The way I have handled cases like this in the past is ask the OP to draw one particular line (following my instructions) in a particular assignment and post the file here each step of the way.

Line-by-line we complete the assignment. (or they give up after the first line)

I used what I thought was the quickest method for the OP to get as many of the drawings done as possible in a week's time along with completing other coursework. He appears to be struggling with both AutoCAD, the English language, and perhaps with the instructional method of his professor. If you wish to walk him through each exercise step-by-step be my guest. Whatever approach he uses is entirely up to him. Other than the one response yesterday I don't hold out much hope that he will return nor do I feel he will make his deadline if he waits much longer to get the help he came here seeking.

Hello now i have 3 assignment but i dont finish the first one yet.but ok i think i have time to do all if i just do my assignment and try change other assignment in other class for other date.

I try do the 1.1 baseplate but i little confuse with the numbers can you help me?

see what happens:

wrongs.jpg

Looks like one number is missing for the short vertical line at the bottom. I think it is supposed to be 0.50.

"...confuse with numbers..." Do you mean the number of decimal places (2.0000 vs 2.00)? The format (decimal) and precision can be set your Dimension Styles dialog box. DIMSTYLE for short.

No i confused with the numbers to do the lines 1 big line is 4.50 i need find just the top what calc i need do.

just confused with all the numbers and the arrows and ↕

more wrong :(

wrong2p.jpg

It is basic math my friend...adding and subtracting.

Listen...I think you failed to look at some of the posts I made (many with attached images) such as #15, Exercise 1.1, where I tell you the dimension of 9 out of the 10 sides of the object. Seek and ye shall find.

Guess what? Post #16, Exercise 1.2, gives you all but one dimension. It does not get any easier than that.

You have a "generous" 30 minutes from the time of this post to get these two exercises done and posted. Go now and do them. I'll be back!

Time is up. I don't see any images. Did you make any progress at all? Are you still stuck? If so what problems are you having?

Edited by ReMark