Autocad 2013 Begginer problems

fredericofrg

Hey guys can you help me i from Brazil and move to US a 4 months ago and learn english just for 5 months before move and start university in Technical Graphics i have some problems because i never use before Autocad, the professor use the Autocad 2013 and i need do this homework for tomorrow:

This is the book with the exercises:

http://books.google.com/books?id=wrTbk2bBHfsC&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=Tutorial+Guide+autocad+2013+1.1+baseplate&source=bl&ots=4u2IWEEwtD&sig=t-JuwfygIpWPcKveQaGAcsZ-fHc&hl=en#v=onepage&q=Tutorial%20Guide%20autocad%202013%201.1%20baseplate&f=false

The exercises to do is this:

1.1Baseplate

1.2Rectangular Bracket

1.11Bracket

1.3Site Boundary

1.4Filter Plate

1.5Gasket

1.6 Spacer

1.9 Dorm Room

Please help me i just really confused is very hard to me.

The Exercises can find in the book Tutorial Guide Autocad 2013

I try so much and nothing working i just really tired anyone can do some video tutorial teach how to do this? I dont want you make my homework i just want know how to do this and i do.

Thanks SO MUCH Guys.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• fredericofrg

• JD Mather

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just what do you find so confusing?

The baseplate could probably be done using the line or polyline command and direct distance entry (at the command line). Just make sure to toggle Orthomode "On".

Direct distance entry just requires the user to pick the first point then drag the mouse in the direction the line is going (horizontal or vertical) and type the distance in at the command line.

The rectangular bracket can also be created using a line or polyline and direct distance entry.

The bracket shown in exercise 1.11 is created using lines and circles (or arcs). I can see you also using the copy command and maybe trim and/or fillet. Are you familiar with any of these commands?

Have you done at least one drawing previous to being assigned these exercises?

Edited by ReMark

Hello.

I know just the command LINE

but the problem is i do the command line and put the first point in 0,0

but after i press TAB again dont go to the command window just to the specify new point and angles i show you where:

autocad13probl.jpg

And i dont know what is orthomode.

Haven't you had any classroom instruction? I would expect the teacher to have covered the use of lines, polylines (and their differences), circles, rectangles, erase, copy, trim, extend, mirror, move, stretch, the use of OSnaps, the function keys (F1, F2, etc.) and what they are used for, how to start a new drawing and how to set your units. Did you cover any of this in class?

The F8 key toggles Orthomode which when "on" limits the user to drawing lines horizontally or vertically but not at an angle.

You do not necessarily have to start a drawing at 0,0.

I'm not sure what your use of the TAB key is supposed to do. I use it to cycle through my OSnap settings. OSnaps settings are used for accuracy of making picks such as endpoint, midpoint, center, perpendicular, quadrant, etc.

If you want to enter a distance and an angle at the command line do it like this:

@120

I post the image see.

I learn littl bit with circles and rectangles just click and pool copy to and erase and move the others no

and F12 and F7,F9.F8 not.

But i dont see how is the difference to use the F9 on and off ON i thing the line jump but what this means?

Thanks.

You only know the Line command and you have no idea what Orthomode is. I see. In that case I would stop what you are doing. Upon returning to class ask the instructor to fully cover the basics of what you need to know prior to attempting the exercises. You seem to be totally unprepared to complete the work.

Did your instructor go over the layout of the drawing environment (model space) and cover such items as the command line, the Ribbon, the icons found in the Task Bar at the bottom of your screen, etc.?

F9 = SNAP

This is commonly used with GRID which is toggled on/off with the F7 key. The snap increment can be set by the user via the SNAP command. The display of the GRID can be controlled via the GRID command. Both commands can be accessed via the Command line at the bottom of your screen.

Did your teacher assign you a book for the course?

Do you know what any of those icons refer to in the Task Bar at the lower left-hand corner of your screen?

Do you know how to create a new layer?

Do you know how to set your UNITS and their Precision?

Do you know how to use the ARC command?

Do you know how to use the OFFSET command?

Do you know how to use Polar Tracking?

Personally I think you need a little more training before going any further. Please consider speaking with your instructor as soon as possible and maybe ask if he can find you a one-on-one tutor as well. You will benefit greatly.

o you know what any of those icons refer to in the Task Bar at the lower left-hand corner of your screen? No all

Do you know how to create a new layer?No

Do you know how to set your UNITS and their Precision?Yes and no i know where go but i dont know how to modify and understand.

Do you know how to use the ARC command?No

Do you know how to use the OFFSET command?No

Do you know how to use Polar Tracking?No

Can you recommend some tutorials to do the first exercise?

or all ,thanks for your help.

I hope after this class done I be the Master ^^.

Just the beginning is hard after you learn is just very easy i know because i have so much experience in other softwares.

I'm having trouble understanding just what you hope to accomplish if you do not even understand the basics of AutoCAD. It seems, from your answers, you were either taught very little, or you did not pay much attention in class.

Exercise 1.1 Baseplate.

Make sure you have ORTHOMODE enabled. Use your F8 key to toggle it.

Prior to starting this exercise make a quick hand sketch of the baseplate and put the dimensions on it. You'll notice that you will have to calculate a couple of the dimensions based upon those that are already given. When you have all the dimensions of every side then you can draw the baseplate in AutoCAD.

Note: We will be working our way around the baseplate in a clockwise manner.

Start the LINE command. Pick anywhere in the middle of your screen when you are prompted "LINE Specify first point:" as this object, if I read the dimensions right, is not very big. Now drag your mouse to the right. Look at your command line. AutoCAD prompts "Specify next point or [undo]:". I want you to type in the distance 2.0 then press ENTER. AutoCAD should draw the line. As AutoCAD continues to prompt you for the next point drag your mouse downward and type the distance 2.0 at the command line. Once again a line should be drawn on your screen. Now drag your mouse to the right and type 2.0 one more time. You should have three lines on your screen. You can continue with this same procedure (drag and type in the distance) until you work your way around to the next to the last line. When prompted for the last line sement you can just type the letter "C" for "Close" and AutoCAD will complete the baseplate.

EXERCISE 1.1.PNG

The order in which the lines should be drawn using the method I described previously. AutoCAD continues to prompt the user to "specify the next point" until the command is cancelled or the last response is "Close".

Here is the sequence that is followed as taken from the AutoCAD Text window:

Command:

Command: LINE Specify first point:

Specify next point or [undo]: 2.0 line 1

Specify next point or [undo]: 2.0 line 2

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: 2.0 line 3

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: 2.5 line 4

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: 3.0 line 5

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: .5 line 6

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: 2.5 line 7

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: 2.5 line 8

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: 1.5 line 9

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: c line 10 drawn by AutoCAD automatically

EXERCISE 1.2.PNG

I have determined that Exercise 1.2 can be done in the same manner as 1.1 was. When you get to the end of line number 7 just type "C" for "Close" and AutoCAD will draw line number 8 for you. See below.

Command:

Command: LINE

Specify first point:

Specify next point or [undo]: .5 line 1

Specify next point or [undo]: .7 line 2

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: 1.6 line 3

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: .7 line 4

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: .9 line 5

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: .6 line 6

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: 1.2 line 7

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: C "C" for Close

You should now have two exercises done.

Where in the United States are you located?

I would recommend that you skip Exercise 1.3 for the moment and move on to Exercise 1.4. You can go back to 1.3 later.

Explanation of AutoCAD Function Keys (F1 through F11) at the top of your keyboard.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

F1 - Opens the AutoCAD HELP file

F2 - Opens the AutoCAD TEXT window in the drawing area

F3 - Turns running snaps (OSnaps) on and off

F4 - Turns 3D OSNAP on and off

F5 - Cycles through the Isoplane Top, Isoplane Right and Isoplane Left crosshairs positions (isometric drawings)

F6 - Allow/disallow Dynamic UCS

F7 - Turns the GRID on and off

F8 - Turns ORTHO mode on and off

F9 - Turns SNAP on and off

F10 - Turns POLAR TRACKING on and off

F11 - Turns OBJECT SNAP TRACKING on and off

F12 - Dynamic Input

Edited by ReMark
revised two entries

AutoCAD Task Bar Icons.PNG

Buttons on the Task Bar (lower left-hand corner of your screen).

From left to right they are...

Infer Constraints

Snap Mode (F9)

Grid Display (F7)

Ortho Mode (F8 )

Polar Tracking (F10)

Object Snap (F3)

3D Object Snap (F4)

Object Snap Tracking (F11)

Allow/Disallow Dynamic UCS (F6)

Dynamic Input (F12)

Show/Hide Lineweight

Show/Hide Transparency

Quick Properties

Selection Cycling

In the far left hand corner is where your coordinates are displayed.

Note the tabs above the Command line. There is always one for MODEL space and two (the default) for paper space LAYOUTS. We draw our objects in model space at FULL size. We do not scale objects in model space like we would if we were drawing them on a drafting board. No matter how big or small the item is draw it FULL size.

Layer Property Manager.jpg

The Layer Properties Manager. This is where you create all your layers and define their properties. The default AutoCAD template, acad.dwt, opens when you start a new drawing. There is only one defined layer (Layer "0" - color: white) in this template. You can create a custom template file with all your layers predefined. It is a real time saver.