DWG File in Sketchup Imported to AGI 32

Mike_Taylor

Hello,

We use a lighting simulation/rendering software at the office called AGI. We occasionally get sketcthup models from clients for the simulations. In our simulation guy has always redrawn the models in AGI.

On the most recent project we tried to export the Sketchup file as a DWG and import it into AGI. The rendering portion of it keeps getting held up.

Has anyone else had these issues before? I dont have much expoerience with AGI or Sketchup so I am not much help in that department.

I cannot upload the sketchup file to the site for the seasoned sketchup veterans to look at (Will hopefully have permisiion), but from what I have seen the practices used are sub-par (IE everything on layer 0).

Any suggestions or feedback is much appreciated.

I have never used AGI but I do know that DWG files from SU can have issues with them. For one SU does not make true curves like AutoCAD can and this can cause issues. Well layer issues can be seen in loads of programs and these are usually operator error ;)

You can e-mail a file to me to look at and we can see what is up.

f700es(at)yahoo(dot)com

Sean

• 1 month later...

First, let me say I am an AGI32 user, an advanced AG32 user. I am learning AutoCAD to support my work in AGI32. But let me back up a little bit. Lighting Analysis, A.K.A. AGI32 went through the process of getting their software to officially inter-opt with Autodesk 2010 (that's when it happened). I don't know what was involved but a person I spoke with at AGI32 made it sound like a lot more than just the little message you get after opening/importing a file into autocad wherein it says"this was made by an official autodesk licensed product."

so:

1. AGI32 is very capable to import DWG files, work on the design, and then re-export into a USABLE dwg file. I know, I know seems impossible. And three years ago it was. But I do it every day and have been for two years.

2. If you take a random DWG file (has to be 2010) or DWG export from sketchup with out any consideration of AGI's particulars you'll wind up with anything from useless to crippled. I'm just going to ignore the files you encountered with everything on 0, as those files were wrong long before they got into your hands and AGI32.

The new AGI32, new as of version 2.3.6 has an excellent guide on preparing AutoCAD files for import into AGI32. It's concise, comprehensive and will spare you from one of two possible scenarios.

Scenario 1. You file imports into AGI but is IBM PC XT slow. So slow it's effectively broken.

Scenario 2. everything imports but the one layer you really needed. or everything inports but 1/2 of the layers you really needed.

When starting out, and having to model parking garages and then simulate them in AGI32 I had to choose between sketchup and AutoCAD. I chose sketchup and learned every single thing that didn't translate to AG32, like solids, hatches, etc. AGI32 is a surface modeling environment. Also it wasn't really a choice because form that point on I only received autocad/revit files and had to "tune" the files for performance in AGi32.

Without knowing the details of your files I can't make any specific recommendations. If sending a copy isn't feasible I recommend the secion in AGI32 help on importing CADs. I would have saved my self 100s of hours if they'd titled the help manual READ THIS FIRST

Hello,

We use a lighting simulation/rendering software at the office called AGI. We occasionally get sketcthup models from clients for the simulations. In our simulation guy has always redrawn the models in AGI.

On the most recent project we tried to export the Sketchup file as a DWG and import it into AGI. The rendering portion of it keeps getting held up.

Has anyone else had these issues before? I dont have much expoerience with AGI or Sketchup so I am not much help in that department.

I cannot upload the sketchup file to the site for the seasoned sketchup veterans to look at (Will hopefully have permission), but from what I have seen the practices used are sub-par (IE everything on layer 0).

Any suggestions or feedback is much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

We have gone through the help files and our clients models are importing much faster now. We are receiving a few "Parse" errors when rendering the model. This is the error we receive that was on the AGI website.

Issue: Error message starting with “Unable to render this job file – A problem occurred while attempting to read (parse) one of the data files…” followed by “…(Filename:File:Objt_...”, “…(Filename:File:Room_...”, or “…Filename:File:Lumn_...” and the actual label of the room or object returning the error.

Is it possible to set up AGI to automatically disclude these objects when rendering and give us a list of objects causing the error? Or something similar?