New to ACAD Lt - Can't get Area Measure Tool to output proper figures

VaBeav

I am new and need a good resource.

I've figured some things out, but am struggling with what appears to be a very valuable tool... the area tool.

I found many references to the boundary tool, but that looks more complicated.

I have figured out how to mark the corner and press enter, but the output is for example 1.7 sq ft vs. what should be approx 35K sq ft.

I tried to change the units, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Please help.

Thank you.

9-11-2012 2-24-27 PM.jpg

Did you create a closed polyline (PE or Join)?

When you type the Area command do you get an option on the command line for Object?

aa

o

click boundary

Since i'm not using the boundary tool, i'm not selecting PE or join, but i guess you could say i'm joining as it's a graphical "fill" off all the area until i get to the end.

at the end, my option is "enter", which i guess equates to "Total".

Did you create a closed polyline (PE or Join)?

When you type the Area command do you get an option on the command line for Object?

aa

o

click boundary

Sounds like you are doing this in a layout, toggle over to model space and try again. Might be better to draw a pline around the perimeter and then use Area or Field. If things change or you notice you missed a corner you can adjust and list the pline, if you miss with Area you have to start over again. Place the pline on its own layer for future use, etc.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Another way to go is to use your QUICK PROPERTIES display, like this.

rkent is no doubt correct, you need to go into MODELSPACE and try again.

Just guessing, but I assume that the graphic fill which you describe is generally

called a HATCH in Autocad parlance.

Quick Properties to the rescue.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

Since i'm not using the boundary tool, i'm not selecting PE or join,....

I didn't say anything about using boundary tool.

I assume you have a closed area formed by a polyline that you created or joined.

I should have written

aa (for area command)

o (for object)

click object (rather than boundary).

sorry for the confusion

attach your dwg file here and indicate the area you are trying to measure. (don't need that whole thing to do a test of the area command)

Are you sure AC lt has that feature? i've been trying to work in the model space, (model tab), but i don't see a mechanism which matches your screen shot above.

JD, your input got me close than i was, Thank you. I was able to use some of the CLI commands to be more efficient.

Now, i just need to somehow get the underlying mechanism to keep from providing me the 1.7 square inches...

Awesome! Thank you guys! It finally worked! Sometimes it takes a while to "see the light"

i wasn't interpreting what you were saying properly. I had to go to the Model tab and then do the area measure tool. Once i did, the true square footage was represented.

Nice work and I appreciate the patience and assistance.