Dimensions That Reference Only The Layout

m1engineer

Hello all,

I'm trying to create dimensions that only reference the layout tab.

Example- When I dimension from two end points within the same viewport, the dimension reads out 50' because that's the length of the line regardless of the scale the viewport displays. Now I add another viewport and try to dimension between viewports and the dimension references the layout. Regardless if it's the same viewport or not I need the dimension to reference the layout/paper space.

Thank you in advance,

Mik

Welcome to the forum. :)

I've certainly been wrong before, but as I read it, it can be done.

On the USER PREFERENCES tab of your OPTIONS,

UNCHECK Make New Dimensions Associative.

associativity differences.jpg

turn off associative dims.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

This is my kludge.

This assumes you have a single line in MS that spans the length to be dimensioned.

In PS, Start the dim command, snap to the two endpoints, type M, enter, right click, pick insert field, use Object option, pick on line, pick Length, OK, place dim.

If you place the dim first you can still edit the dim and insert the field, same same.

If it's matter of scaling from model space to paper space, you can change the Measurement Scale. You can even Apply to Layout Dimensions Only. Maybe I'm not understanding the question....

If it's matter of scaling from model space to paper space, you can change the Measurement Scale. You can even Apply to Layout Dimensions Only. Maybe I'm not understanding the question....

It is a matter of showing a long object in two PS viewports, each one showing the end of the object. Trying to place a dim with the right dimension is the issue as snapping to the two endpoints across two different viewports will yield an incorrect dim.

Besides the method I described above you can place the dim in MS, pull the dim text to one side so it shows in one of the viewports and then add a broken symbol in PS at the gap. Probably more correct that my first way which does not show the broken dim line.

LONG DIMS IN PS.jpg

This is my kludge.

This assumes you have a single line in MS that spans the length to be dimensioned.

In PS, Start the dim command, snap to the two endpoints, type M, enter, right click, pick insert field, use Object option, pick on line, pick Length, OK, place dim.

If you place the dim first you can still edit the dim and insert the field, same same.

I like this technique, a good use of a field. :thumbsup:

But the question is still a bit unclear, as we all seem to be trying to address differing interpretations of the problem.

I like this technique, a good use of a field. :thumbsup:

But the question is still a bit unclear, as we all seem to be trying to address differing interpretations of the problem.

The OP wrote "Now I add another viewport and try to dimension between viewports and the dimension references the layout."

Seems clear to me, how to dimension the same object between two viewports.

Mik

This statement seems to mean something different to me. :huh:

Ahhh, the vagueries of language, I guess they are why we don't just call

our fabricators up and TELL them what we want, but rather

attempt to create succinct and concise graphic representations

of our needs. :beer:

I will be curious to hear back, assuming the OP is still interested? :)

Hello all,

Example- When I dimension from two end points within the same viewport, the dimension reads out 50' because that's the length of the line regardless of the scale the viewport displays. Now I add another viewport and try to dimension between viewports and the dimension references the layout. Regardless if it's the same viewport or not I need the dimension to reference the layout/paper space.

Thank you in advance,

Mik

You got that right. :beer:

But I am still thinking that you may have risen from the depths to the (kludgemeister) chum,

strewn on the virtual waters by our favorite Bot. :)

The Example is meant to demonstrate the need expressed in the opening statement,

which is then reiterated in the synopsis ..........

'Regardless if it's the same viewport or not I need the dimension to reference the layout/paper space.'

I love a good mystery now and again!

Edited by Dadgad

You got that right. :beer:

But I am still thinking that you may have risen from the depths to the (kludgemeister) chum,

strewn on the virtual waters by our favorite Bot. :)

I don't think Kurt Vonnegut could have written a better line. :D I am also not sure if I am to be offended or flattered by that, but either way it is the first time in a while I have almost sprayed the monitor with coffee. So thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Definitely meant in the flattering way, :beer:

the implication was not that you are a bottom-feeder, but rather that your

kludgetoire is world class, and that you were seduced into the fray by

the scent of a new puzzle to dismember, like a great white rising. :)

As imprecise and vague as it may sometimes be, language is still way to expressive

and emotive to be totally written off.