Covert dgn to dwg

toberino

Can anyone suggest the best way to convert dgn files to dwg. I only have access to autocad not micrstation. Is the only way through a converter program? Are there any good free ones? Is there a way to do it without a seperate program?

Thanks for the help

• 5 months later...

Kyle: Wouldn't changing the file type result in a "Drawing file is not valid" error message?

That's why AutoCAD Help instructs the CAD tech to utilize the IMPORT command.

I'm not sure. I'm stuck out of town with AutoCAD 2011. When I change the file extension in Microstation V8 to .dwg I save it right to my desktop and then open it with AutoCAD. The versions between the two programs have compatibilty issues. If it doesn't work, that's the reason.

I've not always had luck with importing DGN, despite the 'collaborative' effort of Autodesk + Bentley.

For example, I recently started a project based on FDOT (i.e., Microstation) CAD files, and importing yielded an empty drawing, yet I open that same source DGN in Microstation and it's full of entities. I've started using Microstation to Batch convert all DGN-->DWG myself, and it turns out better. Not sure if someone on the other end monkeyed around with the files before sending them, or not (there's animosity between our Microstation and AutoCAD users unfortunately).

We use MicroStation V7 and V8 and also AutoCAD, in about equal proportions. We cannot just change the file extension from DGN to DWG and open the file in AutoCAD, as ReMark said it just does not work. The binary file format and its entities, tables, etc are not 1:1 compatible and there are objects in one of the systems that are not present in the other.

We have also had problems in AutoCAD with the DGN import and tend to save the DGN in an AutoCAD format first and then open it in AutoCAD. Fortunately we produce all of the MicroStation data ourselves and our files are relatively small.

What RenderMan said about the animosity between AutoCAD and MicroStation users is also very true. We don't have that problem because the guy who produces the MicroStation file is also the guy who works on the data in AutoCAD. Everybody has a copy of AutoCAD and MicroStation on his workstation.

The animosity here, is that the only group that uses Microstation for production is our Transportation group, which until recently (when I used to be a member of Transportation) had users of both platforms. unfortunately (for me, as an AutoCAD/Civil 3D user) that group decided to become a dedicatedly Microstation group, hence firing, or transferring AutoCAD users like myself.

The irony, is like any company that wants to be successful (don't they all?), my employer promotes cohesion between disciplines, and cross selling projects, etc.. Our Transportation group is the gross minority of both the company, and CAD users as a percentage of the whole (+5K CAD users).

I mostly brush them off when they give off a 'tude, but sometimes I poke back... They just get p!ssed when you point out that they don't have a true 64-Bit app, or when I ask how many different dialogs it takes for them to do ____. :)

I've had guys come into the company who were true MicroStation users and who had no experience in AutoCAD. They could tell you why MicroStation was so much better than AutoCAD how fast they could do things and there was no way they would ever use AutoCAD. With just one exception all of them now prefer AutoCAD. :P

Its funny how guys coming with just AutoCAD experience just did not have any of those prejudices and quickly picked up on MicroStation. Me? I'm just an old AutoCAD horse and don't have any preferences o:) :roll: :whistle:

My company isn't on that scale, but sometimes the problems are much bigger because people can't "hide" and confrontation is unavoidable. But that all makes my life more interesting.

I'd find it hard to believe there exists a confrontation of this sort, that couldn't be resolved with several frosty steins from your local kneipe, Tyke. :beer:

I'd find it hard to believe there exists a confrontation of this sort, that couldn't be resolved with several frosty steins from your local kneipe, Tyke. :beer:

It all gets eventually sorted out and a little "lubrication" always helps, especially with the females :shock:

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...