How to constrain lines in a sketch to the same X or Y coordinate?

KarolR

I want to make two lines or more to start at the same distance from the x or y axes.

I can dimension the lines the same distance, but, maybe there is a better way?

Is there any adequate type of constraint that can be applied?

You could add construction lines, make them equal constraint and dimension only one.

I use more construction lines in Inventor than I have in any CAD since leaving the drawing board back in 1987.

I'm not an expert here (hell, I use Inventor only a few times a year), but as JD suggested, couldn't you:

1. Close the sketch when you start a new part.

2. Create a work plane that follows the x or y plane you want and place it (or drag it) to the distance required.

3. Go back into sketch mode and project the geometry of the workplane.

4. Draw your lines with constraints to the projected geometry of the work plane.

I just tried it and it seems to work for me.

Project Geometry is for edges outside of the sketch.

I am talking only about drawing new lines, lets say in the first sketch in a new part.

Start a new part.

Sketch your lines.

Save your file.

Attach your file here.

Maybe colinear is the constraint you are after, but without the file....

In most designs there is usually some sort of logical relationships between geometry.

Assuming 16mm line equal to distance between lines and shorter vertical line half the length of 6mm line - 3 dimensions (the constraints were all added automatically by Inventor).

Logic.png...if this example problem doesn't answer the question - then post a real problem for suggestions on how to simplify/improve.

Are the dashed lines construction lines, or inference symbols?

I have 2009, maybe difference in appearance.

How did you make the inference distance to be same length as the long line, without a dimension?

As far as i know when you infer, it doesn't tell you when the length is equal to something.

In the upper right corner of your sketch screen you will see toggle buttons for Construction and Centerline types.

In the image I attached you should see an equal = symbol next to the 16mm vertical and the upper horizontal lines.

The dashed lines are construction lines, yes.

He used an Equal constraint on the construction lines - see the equal sign above the top one - that set the length of it to the same length as the longer of the two lines. If he changes the 16mm dimension, the distance between the two lines will also change.