Unitless Blocks No Problem in 2009 but 2013...!

Bill Tillman

We have an extensive library here of blocks which many are set to unitless for the insertion scale. This has never been a problem here as they run 2005 and 2009. But a 2013 workstation was recently added and these unitless blocks are coming in as 25.4 times too small.

I found an excellent method for batch converting this without trouble on this forum so that won't be a problem converting them. My question is this expected behavior from 2009 to 2013. I read another article which said the same thing happened when switching from 2004 to 2006, but we're using 2009 here and unless there is some unknown environment variable set I can't figure why the 2009 machines are behaving differently than the 2013 machine on this issue at least.

Are all of the -dwgunits settings the same?

Do you mean that inserting the same block into the same drawing,

but on the 2013 station gives a different result?

I assume you are using a standardized .dwt file?

That's what's weird about this. The same template is being opened no matter which computer this is run on. The units in the template are set to inches. The units in the blocks are all over the place. But thanks to this really cool LISP code I found running a batch operation to set all the blocks uniformly for the LUNITS, LUPREC, AUNITS and AUPREC all I had to do was sit back and watch it work. It went through literally hundreds (about 700 of them I think) in less than 10 minutes. All the blocks are now uniformly set as far as insertion point, etc...

This is part of the automated process I've been working for months now. The drawings used to be created on a 2009 machine and the unitless blocks were no problem. But run the same program on 2013 and the unitless blocks come in at 25.4 times too small. This batch process I ran today should resolve this but I was wondering why there is a difference between 2009 and 2013 when using the exact same blocks.

Something definitely sounds screwy about it. However, if we know you Bill you'll get to the bottom of it sooner or later or die trying. Please don't die trying. We need you around here man!