Penn Foster Civil Drafting project plate 3 and 4

sorsini

Hi everyone,

I have already read and look at all the information that you all provide for PLATE 3 and 4, but, please I am still confused. If someone can submit those plate it will be very gratefull to me, so I can learn more, knowing very well what I am doing.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• geussb

• sorsini

• celestinaeyang

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recommend that students not attach their drawings to posts here because it becomes too easy for other students to "borrow" a drawing they did not do.

The thread I gave you the link to has two diagrams that came straight from a Penn-Foster instructor. Students are advised to contact their instructor with questions regarding problems with projects. Obtaining help from an instructor is one of the things you paid good money for.

BTW...there are several threads regarding that project. Have you looked at any of the others?

When I have a moment I'll take a look at the thread and the instructions as well but I can't make any promises as to when that might be.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply, My intention is not copy and paste, I just want to understand. and make them correctly. Since yesterday I sent an email to the instructor and until now I have not receive any reply from them. I saw what you spoted above, but I am still confused.

Thank you very much.

You are not the first student to comment on the slow response times by Penn-Foster instructors to emails. Unfortunately you won't be the last either.

Thank you for your help.

I am right now trying to start the driveway profile. I am trying to make the vertical and horizontal scale.

Looking at the drawing that at the horizontal scale they put the number beginning from the center of the cul the sac ( sta 0+00 through all the drive way) and at the top we have level of the contour.

My problem now is the distance that they use from one contour to another to set the graph and the distance from one station to another in order of making the graph..

I am asking that because if we use 50 foot in the horizontal line( from one station to another) which distance should we use in the vertical one? or is that correct?

Profiles typically have a different horizontal and vertical scale. I'm used to 1"=40' horizontal and 1"=4' vertical having worked for a consulting engineering firm that did a lot of highway work.

I took a quick look at the instructions and it calls for a profile grid scale of 1"=10' vertical and 1"=60' horizontal. I'm not sure where you got the 50 foot number but it is incorrect.

Judging by what I see on Plate 2 station 0+00 starts in the cul-de-sac at the east end of Ocean Avenue and continues down the centerline of the driveway ending at station 3+78.90 giving you an overall length of 378.90 feet. Assuming you run your stationing out to 4+00 (400 feet) your grid would be approximately 6.67" long.

The range of existing and proposed contours runs from approximately 120 ft. to 180 ft. That means at 1"=10' vertical your grid will be 6" high.

Your profile grid should look something like this (note: line gray lines are set at 2' intervals).....

OceanAveProfileGrid.JPG

Edited by ReMark

Thank you very much for your help.

I have already finished, I would like to send you them so you can see if there are correct. Maybe you can give your personal email or I can send you them by this via if you can not provide me your personal email.

I

I'm probably not the person you want reviewing your drawings as I tend to be too much of a perfectionist. Maybe another forum member will volunteer to look them over.

Ok.

Thank you for your reply.

But sometime it is better to receive the feedback from a perfecionist person.

So I can try to do it better.

• 7 months later...

Hello, I am doing the Civil Drafting Plate 3 right now and i have been reading through threads and looking at the screenshots of examples all day today but still am not able to understand how to start this plate :( I am running out of time and really need to finish this!!! It says the horizontal scale is 1"=60' does that mean when making the grid/chart the station points are gonna be 60' apart instead of 50' ? how do I set it up???? Please help! THe pictures alone were not enough for me to understand!

The instructions for setting up the grid are contained within the project PDF.

You should also go back through this thread and look at the following posts...#32, 35-37, 39 and 49.

Edited by ReMark

I did actually, multiple times. And it all makes sense to me except how to set up the grid and how to get the points from the curved part of the driveway because I can't do a straight line down at that specific part. In the project booklet it has not a lot of directions and nothing is really explained about the grid. I'm just wondering how I know the dimensions for the grid part..... Between the station points and the contour levels....

Set out the stationing along the bottom of the grid. If one inch equals sixty feet how many inches would equal 50 feet? How many inches would equal 100 feet? Stationing is usally laid out in 50 foot increments starting with 0+00 then 0+50, 1+00, 1+50, 2+00, etc. Stationing runs horizontally from left to right.

Your contour level is in 10 foot increments. These run vertically. One inch will equal 10 feet vertically; two inches vertically would be equivalent to 20 feet. Pick a range of contours that mimics what you see in your plan view (hint: look at the contours your road centerline crosses).

Thank you kindly for your response, I really appreciate it. When I plot the points from the curved part of the driveway how do I get the right position of the point? I know I have to do a curve from where the centerline crosses the contour line and then draw a straight line down from the curve to plot the curved area of the driveway. How do I know how long the curve is and what kind of angle it will be? The unit booklet never explained this and the project booklet does not say a word about this either. So how am I supposed to know????

For what you are doing measure from the nearest stationing point, like 1+50, to the point where the contour crosses the centerline of the road. So if your 190 contour falls 38.5 feet beyond station 1+50 plot the point at station 1+88.5 in your profile.