Can't delete viewport frame to make custom one

NarkDuffy

Hi I am having issues with creating viewports in the attached file. When I open the layout, say layout 3, it shows the viewport frame but I cannot highlight it in order to delete it. This is a setting in this file I have inadvertently turned on or off. I have created a new file, done a scribble, opened a layout and deleted the viewport. I have googled for a solution before asking the forum and it is most likely very basic.

Any help appreciated as I have very little hair left.

Nark

Plans layer castelnau.dwg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• NarkDuffy

• Dadgad

• Tiger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's saved in 2013 so I can't open the file. Have you turned on all the layers before you tried to select? Are any layers locked? Including Defpoints and 0? It may sound strange but its one of AutoCADs quirks...

I was able to open your drawing. I went to Layout2 and erased the viewport frame with no problem. I also created a new layout and was able to erase the viewport frame from that as well. If you don't want AutoCAD to automatically create a default viewport each time a layout is created then disable the feature.

Why do you have Blipmode turned on? Don't you find that distracting?

If you clip the viewport, you may have the boundary polyline on one layer and the viewport itself on another. Turn on all the layers and see if you can select it.

Do you know that you have a viewport on a layer named "Y Dimensions"? And you have this layer turned off? Why? You have a layer called Viewports too. Doesn't it make sense to pur your viewports on the Viewports layer?

You have a number of lines that are drawn at very slight angles. While they may look straight when zoomed out as you get closer you notice they are not truly horizontal. You also have some ninety degree corners that do not meet up.

Why is some of your hatching on the Section Cross Proposed Balcony layer? Seems a bit unusual.

Do a Zoom > All. You have some objects that are way, far out from the bulk of your model space objects. Is this intentional?

I ran the OVERKILL command on the main group of objects of which there were over 5000. AutoCAD found 168 duplicate lines; it also found 421 instances of lines that overlapped each other. This could cause you some problems down the road and should be addressed now.

CastleZoom.jpg

I drew a white circle around the far out objects in model space and a rectangle around the group of objects that include your house just so I could point them out easier to you. You should erase the objects I circled.

Would you look at that. After I erased the objects in the circles I found two more areas where other miscellaneous objects/geometry got thrown off into outer space. You'll have to find and erase them too.

Your Section Cross Proposed Balcony Notes seem to be on the Section Cross Proposed Balcony layer. If you don't need the "Notes" layer it can be deleted unless of course you really wanted your notes to be on a layer separate from the geometry they are describing.

You have two front elevations of the house. The hatching on the upper portion of each house is on Section Cross Proposed Balcony layer. Since these are elevations and not sections is the hatching on the wrong layer?

There are numerous little "orphan" line segments floating about your drawing. These should be cleaned up. Maybe they were left over parts of a previous design that you decided not to use?

Oops...looks like that bottom elevation of the house has the hatching on two different layers. One of them is called Section Front and the other is the Section Cross Proposed Balcony layer. None of your elevations should have layers with the word "Section" in them.

Thanks to everyone.

I will save in 2010 in future.

For all the other points i may have this or that on or off without knowing it.

I will now go through all your notes.

Again thrilled at the level of assistance. Thanks Thanks

Nark

To ensure accuracy use your OSnaps for picking geometry.

Make sure to enable Orthomode when drawing lines that are horizontal or vertical.

Do not overlap the ends of lines.

Since you have gone through all the trouble of creating a number of layers make sure that the geometry that belongs on a specific layer does not get created then left on a different layer.

Do not confuse the terms "elevation" and "section" as they mean two entirely different things.

Try to avoid overriding a layer's color whenever possible.

It is not a good practice to drop text right over one's geometry as it makes it difficult to read.

really appreciate all this advice and direction. Have not replied to the last lot as i do not have all the time I would like and being honest i am a little slow.

I wasn't expecting you to provide us with a detailed response. As for being slow well you'll get faster as you get better or at least that is the way it is supposed to work. I wouldn't worry about it. Do what you can when you can. We'll still be here. :)

Hi

Outer space found and destroyed though manually and I am sure that AutoCAD have a more precise manner. Found Zoom Extents.

Blip mode First have to find out what it is then turning it off. Couldn't turn off blip mode because I cannot find it. Goggling didn’t help. Lots of entries using code to control it. I do not know how to use code with AutoCAD as yet.

Turned on all the layers and have deleted all the viewports. How do I know which layer is controlling my viewport. I have created two viewports. Do I need to create a viewport for each layout I create?

Not quite sure what it means to put my viewports in my viewport layer. I will go through this part of the tutorial again. This may be part of the above paragraph.

For the section cross and the exterior views I just put everything in the one layer each for simplicity of printing as I don't have the layouts sorted. OK I know this not the correct protocol.

Overkill and duplicities. I do not have my mind round how I can have and existing set of drawings and then an overlay layer set for how the property will look when done. There are a lot of walls and parts of walls that will remain. To get round this I created a layer called "Existing to match new in which I only have the existing which will be part of the new. I then add the new work and it all merges so the builders can see what is needed.

I have researched overkill and run it. So will be pleased if some of the duplicates are gone but honestly I could see no change.

Some of the cockeyed lines may have come when I messed up the integrity of the drawings by hitting the north south control. I thought I had got all lines back to horizontal and vertical. Clearly not but I cannot see the crocked lines. This will not be a major issue as my plans are for the actual building which is running as I am improving the drawings. My drawing to date has allowed the builder to know what I want. It is only a tiny job and will be done in 3 weeks.

Is it possible to lock to a layout the layers open for it so that regardless of what I see in Model the layout always sees only what was used to make it? The benefit of this being that I could have my views up to date all the time. Perhaps there will be a macro that I could link top opening a layout which will do all this. I have tried it with the layout Existing in the attached sample but it shows any layer which is made visible.

Finally I just cannot get my head round scale. My drawing is 10:1. Which I understand to mean 10 meters on paper = one meter on the ground. Please can you direct me.

narkPlans layer castelnau.dwg

Slow down a minute.

When your cursor leaves little "+" on the screen after you have made a pick, those objects are called "blips". Most everyone I know (99.99%) stopped enabling Blipmode ages ago. The command is still their but you have to type it this way: .blipmode then press the Enter key. Don't forget the in front of the command.

Viewports. You can have from one to sixty four viewports per layout. You should have a dedicated layer just for your viewports. This layer should be set to "no print" in your Layer Properties Manager. You don't have to turn it off or freeze it when it comes time to print then. Understand?

The Overkill command cleans up lines that overlap, when they shouldn't, and duplicate lines that lie one right over the top of the other. In some cases you had a line with two more copies of the line sitting right on top of it (so it looks like one line) and they were all on the same layer and in the same color. This is not a good CAD technique.

The technique for dealing with a renovation job is to have a layer for existing, one for demolition and one for the new construction. Layers can be locked, or they can be frozen, you can even bring in another drawing as an external reference, if you want, and draw over the top of it. Another way to make existing construction appear different from new construction is to use lineweight when plotting although the appearance can be achieved on screen in a slightly different manner by using lighter colors (gray and white for example) for the "existing" and darker colors for the "new"

construction.

Layers can be controlled independently in multiple viewports. For example, you could have one set of layers frozen (not visible) in one viewport but thawed (visible) in another. This is done via the Layer Properties Manager via the VP (Viewport) Freeze option.

Viewports. You can have from one to sixty four viewports per layout. You should have a dedicated layer just for your viewports. This layer should be set to "no print" in your Layer Properties Manager. You don't have to turn it off or freeze it when it comes time to print then. Understand?

Not totally but I’ll study it a little longer.

The Overkill command cleans up lines that overlap, when they shouldn't, and duplicate lines that lie one right over the top of the other. In some cases you had a line with two more copies of the line sitting right on top of it (so it looks like one line) and they were all on the same layer and in the same color. This is not a good CAD technique.

Yes they should not have been like that. Thanks

The technique for dealing with a renovation job is to have a layer for existing, one for demolition and one for the new construction. Layers can be locked, or they can be frozen, you can even bring in another drawing as an external reference, if you want, and draw over the top of it. Another way to make existing construction appear different from new construction is to use lineweight when plotting although the appearance can be achieved on screen in a slightly different manner by using lighter colors (gray and white for example) for the "existing" and darker colors for the "new"

construction.

Ok Well at least I have been able to fudge through with what I have done but next time will have to have it more professional.

Layers can be controlled independently in multiple viewports. For example, you could have one set of layers frozen (not visible) in one viewport but thawed (visible) in another. This is done via the Layer Properties Manager via the VP (Viewport) Freeze option.

OK I assumed that there must be a system for this. The course I have done is Lynda.com - AutoCAD 2010 Essential Training (Malestrom) and to be honest I was a little anxious to get started so rather glossed over the layout section. I have now gone back over it again. It is an introduction so does not go very deep. Great for what it does do. I have got a copy of the AutoCAD LT 2012 Bible and I will start on that. Your above two paragraphs actually include a lot of stuff which is automatic once one is accustomed to it be when not each line hauls up another chapter of understanding.

What is really frustrating me is my inability to understand the Scale issue. You may have noticed that I did my scale at 10:1. Is that correct and can I use that on my planning application. (appreciate that you are in the USofA where things are not the same)

The scale issue.

Maybe you should have started with that the very first time you visited us.

Here's the deal. When you are drawing in model space draw everything at its FULL size. FULL size. It doesn't matter how big (the universe) or how small (a microbe) draw it full size. When you are done you switch to a paper space layout and create a viewport (or more than one viewport). It is the viewport that the scale gets applied to. What you are doing is basically telling AutoCAD that when it comes time to plot the objects in this particular viewport need to be plotted at the assigned scale. AutoCAD will handle it automatically. So, you can have ten viewports in one layout and each viewport can have a different scale. When plotting from a layout we do it at a scale of 1:1 - AutoCAD takes care of what is in the viewport.

If you "scaled" your house in model space just as you would if you were on the drafting board, I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but you did it wrong.

Here are some general rules/guidelines about Viewports which bears repeating.

Viewports are assigned a scale not the objects back in model space. Objects in model space should all be drawn at FULL size.

Viewports can be created using the MView command.

Viewports can be resized using their grips.

Viewports can be moved, copied, rotated. aligned and even deleted. If you delete a viewport it does not delete the objects back in model space.

It's a good idea to put viewports on their own layer and set the layer to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager. This will eliminate the "frame" affect often seen after a plot is made.

Once you have your viewport set up the way you want it is a good idea to have the display locked. This can be done in a couple of different ways.

One way is to do it via the Properties palette. The other way is to highlight the viewport frame then right click and change "Display locked" from

"no" to "yes". Doing this will prevent accidentally changing the viewport scale when moving between paper space and model space.

It is possible to freeze layers in individual viewports via the Layer Properties Manager and the VP Freeze column.

A viewport is made "active" by double-clicking within it.

You can cycle between viewports by pressing Ctrl+R repeatedly until you reach the viewport you want.

Viewports do not necessarily have to be rectangular; they can be odd shaped (polygonal) and they can even be circular.

The number of viewports in a paperspace layout is controlled by the system variable MAXACTVP (maximum active viewports). The default setting is 16. The max value is 64.

Viewports are ideally suited to displaying multiple views of 3D objects.

Viewport scales can be selected from a number of sources including the Viewports toolbar, Properties palette, Quick Properties, or by looking at one's Taskbar after clicking on a viewport frame and choosing from the scale list.

I'm sure there are a couple of things I may have missed.