Need Help Drawing This Shape in 3D AutoCAD

Bobzy20

I’ve haven’t done any 3D CAD for about 3-4 months now and I can’t seem to remember how to draw this shape I found on the internet.

I'm trying to draw the section highlighted by the red circle.

Any help would be great.

Shape.jpg

Shape-CAD.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobzy20

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like you are 90% of the way there judging by the image above. You are trying to derive the ridges (or flutes) in the oval portion of the ring are you not?

I’m trying to somehow subtract the cylinder from the ridged ellipse shape so I will end up with something that looks like the diagram above. I manage to subtract the cylinder from the inside of the ellipse but that was easy as it doesn’t have a ridged face.

I can upload the CAD file if needed.

Yeah, I realized that just after I took the dog for a walk. My bad.

For some strange reason I could not work with your geometry. I had to recreate the objects.

Yeah I couldn’t either I had to re-sweep everything as I got an error saying: Inconsistent edge-face relationships.

Maybe it’s me or something to do with 2013.

Looking better we just need to sort out the top and bottom part so it has smooth contours and bends in with the rest of the model where they meets.

We? Who's this "we" you mention?:P:lol:

Yes, my "solution" is not exactly elegant by any means. It definitely needs some refinement. Actually, I don't like the way I did it and I keep thinking back to my first suggestion regarding subtracting a "positive" profile of the object. I just haven't figured it out yet.:(

I always say ‘we’ so it sounds like we are in it together although you seem to be doing all the work which I appreciate.

Well if you or anybody else out there manages to find a solution it would be great to see.

We can crack this together!!!

WE certainly can!:shock:

I'll give it another try after I finish this isometric I'm working on. Of course there's always a good chance JDM will come along and solve it using Inventor then we'll have to hear the "speech" again.:lol: