Intersecting Tubes

piewie

I have two 3D extruded sections of square tube where the corners are filleted to give a radiused effect. The two tubes intersect each other. This means that the if I look down the centre of one tube I see the section that is intersecting. I want to get rid of this section so when looking down the tube it is clear. I have tried the subtracting and intersecting command but seem unable to get them to work properly. Can anyone help? Please?

Welcome to the forum. :)

If I read this correctly, I think you are describing a mitered corner of SHS (square hollow section),

which has radiused corners on the profile?

If you need to have 2 distinct pieces, so as to display the miter cut in the corner, then you could use the SLICE command.

Lay out your slicing plane in 2D, as it will be the easiest way. I usually use a slicing OBJECT (and create a circle to be that).

Or you could just create your Region which describes the end of the Tube Profile, and use the SWEEP command to sweep that

shape along a RIGHT ANGLE path. In that case you will wind up with a single part, of that same shape as the 2 mitered pieces together.

Should you need to do a 4 way intersecting miter then you would add another SLICING plane or OBJECT (circles as shown) rotated by 90 degrees from the first

slicing plane.

MITERED SHS.JPG

SLICED MITER WITH CIRCLE.JPG

FULL MITERED INTERSECTION.jpg

Edited by Dadgad