Planetary gear Dynamic Simulation

psylencer

Hi Folks,

Got an issue with Planetary (internal) gears and dynamic simulation.

basically, i have one sun, one planet and one carrier -internal gear. All are designed to move freely. I can get the DS to work fine, providing I dont contstrain the planar top of the sun to anything. This means when apply force in 3d using my mouse, the sun is free to move up and down the z axis - viewing in 2d and applying force in 2d, the mechanism appears to work as intended only becasue its impossible to apply force to the 3rd axis (z) while viewing from this angle.

So the obvious solution is to apply a planar mate for the top of the sun, to another part or plane... right??? That's what I thought, however when i do so to restrict the suns movement on the z axis, and return to Dynamic simulation, the suns rotation locks!. Now the sun doesn't move at all and the planet and solar system just revolve around it. Sheesh - I've racked my brains to figure this one out and i'd really appreciate it if someone here could help. I've attached the assembly file for your reference - PS the assembly attached DOES not have the planar mate constraint applied. Moving to DS and viewing from "front" you will be able to see see the motion as intended when applying force (using your mouse) on the sun - notice how all 3 components rotate? Now try viewing in 3d and applying the same(ish) force - you will notice the sun now moves along the z axis. My question : how on earth do i fix this?

6.7mb file - assembly to use is reversing_mechanism2

http://nasora.com.au/test.zip

Thanks.

Edited by psylencer

Answered my own question. System was putting the sun into a "welded group" with the carrier. In Dynamic sim browser, - right click welded group, select "Retain DOF". problem solved.