Model space scale

vdubber87

Hi, I'm new to the forum as well as to autocad. I have a one problem:

I am trying to draw a floor plan, that has one side 90' long. When I change the units to Architectual>inches, and then enter 90' as my line length, the line becomes way too long to fit on the screen. This is clearly some sort of a scaling issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• vdubber87

• JD Mather

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you at least got the model space part correct. Always draw your model space objects at FULL size. However, when it comes to paper space now you should be using viewports and it is the viewport that a scale is assigned to. Since you are using imperial units (architectural) you should know that floor plans are usually plotted at 1/4"=1'-0" scale or 1/8"=1'-0". Part of this is dependent on the size of the paper you will be plotting to.

Thanks for your reply. I tried this, but didn't seem to do much. I'll try explaining further:

If I open the finished drawing (posted by the tutorial author), and move the mouse a few mm, the coordinate units change by A LOT (which is what I need). If, I open MY drawing model space, the units don't change NEARLY as much by moving the mouse a few mm.

Let's clear something up right from the start. You are using "architectural" units (imperial) but you are, in your own words, moving the mouse a few mm (metric)? Something is wrong.

ok, for every inch that I move the cursor on the COMPLETED drawing's model space, the numbers change by a 100x more, compared to MY model space. So I want to know how to set that on MY drawing as well.

#1 MODEL SPACE: move cursor 1 inch, units change from i.e 100.000 - 101.000

#2 MODEL SPACE: move cursor 1 inch, units change from i.e 100.00-200.000

How do I make #1 the same as #2?