3D Modelling Query

momo83

Good day to all!

I've been using AutoCAD for years now and it is more on drafting utilizing 2D function only. Recently I transferred to another company which require me to use 3D Modelling of AutoCAD.

I would like to know what is the best build (system requirements) for a PC to use for AutoCAD 3D Modelling or AutoCAD Plant 3D. Another question is, where can I find a good source of tutorial for this two softwares.

thanks!

Welcome to the forum. :)

I won't address the system specs question, leave that for those in the know.

There are plenty of online resources you could use to get started coming to grips with

3D modeling. If you are well versed in working with 2D, then I should think you could pretty quickly

get the hang of 3D work.

Here is a link to the 3D Basics series of video tutorials on this site. http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/index.php?category_id=25

Most of these are done on Autocad 2010, but don't let that throw you, the basics remain the same.

The INFINITE SKILLS videos by Brian Benton are also very well done, http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/learning-autocad-2012.php .

I would suggest that you be aware of your VIEWPORT CONTROLS, which are in the upper left hand corner of any active viewport, including modelspace.

These make it very easy to access view perspectives, viewport configurations and visual styles.

I usually do my 3D modeling in 2D Wireframe visual style, as it is the fastest, you just need to be careful you don't lose track of your perspective.

To enter ORBIT to look around your modelspace, just hold down your SHIFT key and hold down the MOUSE WHEEL at the same time.

When working in 3D I usually choose to work in an ISOMETRIC perspective, and turning on your DYNAMIC UCS is probably a good idea too, as it makes

working on different faces of 3D objects very simple.

Depending on whether or not you usually use DYNAMIC INPUT, you may want to turn that on too.

PRESSPULL is a very useful tool for modeling. :wink:

Welcome to the forum. :)

I won't address the system specs question, leave that for those in the know.

There are plenty of online resources you could use to get started coming to grips with

3D modeling. If you are well versed in working with 2D, then I should think you could pretty quickly

get the hang of 3D work.

Here is a link to the 3D Basics series of video tutorials on this site. http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/index.php?category_id=25

Most of these are done on Autocad 2010, but don't let that throw you, the basics remain the same.

The INFINITE SKILLS videos by Brian Benton are also very well done, http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/learning-autocad-2012.php .

I would suggest that you be aware of your VIEWPORT CONTROLS, which are in the upper left hand corner of any active viewport, including modelspace.

These make it very easy to access view perspectives, viewport configurations and visual styles.

When working in 3D I usually choose to work in an ISOMETRIC perspective, and turning on your DYNAMIC UCS is probably a good idea too, as it makes

working on different faces of 3D objects very simple.

Depending on whether or not you usually use DYNAMIC INPUT, you may want to turn that on too.

PRESSPULL is a very useful tool for modeling. :wink:

thanks for the quick response sir...i will look into the links that you gave me...

thanks for the quick response sir...

SIR? :shock:

Who came in?

I taught myself 3D, not so daunting, I really enjoyed learning it, and I still love doing it.

Taking a course is not a bad idea, if funds and good instruction are available in your area, but if they aren't?

Just dive in online and get started. :D

Edited by Dadgad

What are the specs on the rest of your system?

Which make/model is your video card? Example: nVidia Quadro or ATI Firepro.

What OS are you using? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

What version of the OS? Example: Windows XP Pro or Windows 7 Home Premium

How much physical memory is installed? 2GB, 4GB more? Less?

im planning to have a intel core i5, windows 7 premium 64bit, 8gb hd memory, inno3d gtx550 1gb ddr5 video card...

will this suffice if i intend to run autocad 3d modelling or autocad plant 3d?

im planning to have a intel core i5, windows 7 premium 64bit, 8gb hd memory, inno3d gtx550 1gb ddr5 video card...

will this suffice if i intend to run autocad 3d modelling or autocad plant 3d?

I would look at an Intel i7 and bump the RAM to 12GB or 16GB. I might also consider a graphics card with more onboard video RAM.

sir, my company is a bit short on budget. the price of the license for the software is of priority. can i still use the specs given above on 3d modelling at a decent speed?

What is the budget for this purchase?

I don't think you will be happy with that system over the long haul. For the short term it will do.

What is the budget for this purchase?

I don't think you will be happy with that system over the long haul. For the short term it will do.

our company only alloted me around 800USD. our I.T. Dept. told me that they are planning to use two video card with SLI, and explained it will help 3d modelling run faster. we are a bit tight on budget so i really cant complain.