Changing the profile of an extrusion

Dan Kitchens

I understand how the current extrusion command works - You have a 2D polyline profile and you apply the extrusion command to that, getting your 3D shape.

However, I have a drawing full of different sized extrusions based on the same 2D polyline, and now I want to change that initial 2D polyline without having to manipulate each polyline separately. I thought it would be much better if the initial 2D polyline were referenced, allowing you to swap that inital 2D polyline with another 2D polyline. Is there a way - or a plugin - that is available to do this in AutoCAD?

FYI - the profiles are used in kitchen doors, and I want to be able to simply change the door profiles without resorting to re-extruding the whole lot.

It sounds like a job for a DYNAMIC BLOCK with a STRETCH parameter.

Probably one for each door profile.

I must confess to not knowing much about Dynamic Blocks. Will it allow me to replace the profile with a different one? As an example, changing a circle extrusion to a square extrusion?

If they are made as separate blocks, and have the block basepoints defined in the same place, like a hinge defined location,

then you could replace an earlier block with another one, and they would come in at the right locations.

I've only created a few very simple ones, but with a single parameter and action these would be as easy as it gets.

You probably want 2 parameters, one for stretching and one for flipping (for handing your doors), the location of that one, would be defined

by the centerline of your HINGE PIN. :)

This may help you http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/acadblog/autocad-tutorial-create-a-dynamic-block-of-a-door/

if you google creating a dynamic block in autocad you'll find lots more videos.

If they are made as separate blocks, and have the block basepoints defined in the same place, like a hinge defined location,

then you could replace an earlier block with another one, and they would come in at the right locations.

I've only created a few very simple ones, but with a single parameter and action these would be as easy as it gets.

You probably want 2 parameters, one for stretching and one for flipping (for handing your doors), the location of that one, would be defined

by the centerline of your HINGE PIN. :)

This may help you http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/acadblog/autocad-tutorial-create-a-dynamic-block-of-a-door/

if you google creating a dynamic block in autocad you'll find lots more videos.

This may be the only way I can get what I'm trying to do to work. It'll take some looking into though. Thank you so much for your help.

You're welcome.

It seems like the most appropriate and long term useful way to do it.

Once you have figured out how to do the first one, the rest of them will be more of the same, and easy.

You'll wind up with a nice dynamic block library for your common door and drawer profiles. :)

Many people are wondering when 3D dynamic blocks might become a reality but AutoDesk has given us no clue. Still waiting..............................................................................................................................................................zzzzz.

What's the record for using that phrase in a single day I wonder? And who holds it? Must think. Hmmmmmmm. Still thinking. Wait it's coming to me........I forgot.

I understand how the current extrusion command works - You have a 2D polyline profile and you apply the extrusion command to that, getting your 3D shape.

However, I have a drawing full of different sized extrusions based on the same 2D polyline, and now I want to change that initial 2D polyline without having to manipulate each polyline separately. I thought it would be much better if the initial 2D polyline were referenced, allowing you to swap that inital 2D polyline with another 2D polyline. Is there a way - or a plugin - that is available to do this in AutoCAD?

FYI - the profiles are used in kitchen doors, and I want to be able to simply change the door profiles without resorting to re-extruding the whole lot.

Mr. Kitchens, I like that you are thinking intuitively but unfortunately plain-jane AutoCAD cannot perform this task, as simple as it may seem. If you step your version up to a "vertical product" (eg: AutoCAD Architecture, AutoCAD MEP, etc) then you can have this functionality. The use of Style based content allows you to utilize profiles for extruded objects, not to mention much more tools. This type of functionality is what makes you step into the parametric world, especially programs like Inventor (JD's recommendation) or Revit.

Most of AutoCAD's functionality in the 3D realm is pretty weak when compared to a much newer and intuitive platform. Once you create 3D objects, it's hard to "edit" the 3D geometry because it's free-form. Granted, there are minimal tools and options in AutoCAD that allows you to edit the history of a particular 3D object, but it's very limited at best. Inventor and Revit are programs that utilize reference planes, profiles, have model history and solids can be used as a void which give you an incredible amount of control and editable options later down the road in your 3D models.

Just my $0.02 is all. 8)

Dan, I can think of one way to do what you are looking for but it is not perfect by any means. Use you polyline profiles to create a one unit length blocks and when inserting apply a z scale as required. The problem is you cannot operate on the solid within the block so for things like mitered corners and such you wolud need a profile matching block inserted to mimic the frame. Obviously then the frame is not a true solid but a conglomeration of blocks.

Once you've constructed your door you could somewhat easily swap out the inserted blocks with a replace block type of function. (do newer releases have that as a standard command?)