Error message

iainlines

Hi all,

After cleaning up my computer with Bullguard I now get this message when starting a new drawing:-

fail to creat CommCntrClientSinkObject

I can get rid of it and carry on as normal but it's a little annoying. Any ideas what it is?

Cheers

Iain

EDIT: Command line states 'error loading ACStandards services

There is a Repair option at the same place you find Uninstall and Install. Either pop in the installationdisk again, or go through Add and Remove a Program-list.

Re: CommCntrClientSink error. The cause:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=8245068&linkID=9240617

There is a chance a REPAIR may not work and instead you will have to do a clean reinstall which AutoDesk has a particular procedure they recommend the user follow. See this link:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240617

In the future whenever you are going to "clean" your computer using one of these programs, like Bullguard, either backup your Registry first or look for an option to do so in said program. A handful of these types of programs actually create an UNDO file that will restore one's Registry to its previous state should something go awry.

Well it's worth giving the REPAIR option a try but if it fails you still have a back up plan. You really have to be careful with some of these cleaning programs as they can be quite aggressive. Most people assume the programs will strike a balance and just let them operate with little or no oversite. Big mistake. Users should always proceed cautiously and also consider creating a RESTORE point beforehand just in case.

Repair didn't work.

That is exactly the assumption I was working on but you know what they say about an assumption...they make an ass of U and Mption :-)

I back up every day but don't really fancy losing a full day's work so clean reinstall it is. Cheers again

A backup and a Restore point are not exactly the same thing. However, the fact that you do a backup everyday is an admirable thing. I have a co-worker I have to constantly remind to backup yet he "forgets" and it has cost him dearly...twice.

Good luck on the uninstall/reinstall. I hope everything goes smoothly for you. I realize that this can be quite frustrating to say the least. One moment you are up and running and the next you're dead in the water. That definitely sucks.

All done and sorted. Although I had a quick check by doing a little drawing and going to properties....screen went black. Closed, tried again and all was good with the world once more. Odd! I've even installed express tools (for some reason I didn't do this originally) so will be having some fun with that.

As for backing up, I even use two back up drives that I swap over daily. Impressive huh? :-)

Have a good weekend

Part of our ISO 9002 quality management system. Makes sense to have at least one. It annoys me when people don't such as our finance director. On the odd occassion he does back up he leaves the drive sat by the computer overnight. For an intelligent man he's also a complete dumbass

Most of our employees rely upon the IT department for backups since they store their files on the network. I place a copy of all my files on the network but I do my own backups to a flash drive and to a DVD. I also have a copy of all my files stored off-site in case of a disaster. If I can't find a file I have only myself to blame.