Language Translation

3rdElle

I have a VBA Routine that I wrote a few years ago that goes through each text entity in a drawing, zooms in on it and lets you do the translation directly. I did it that way so that you could see if the text fits. It just filters out the Text and MText entities, it would need modifying to do Attributes. I still use it occasionally but I don't do that much translation work directly in AutoCAD any more.

I did see a lisp somewhere that got all the text out of a DXF file and let you translate it a text entity in a separate window. That didn't need AutoCAD either, but you never knew if the translated text fitted or if it overlapped.

AutoCAD doesn't have the capability of doing the translation itself.

What are you wanting to do?

How about this scenario:

-Export all the texts from the drawing along with the insertion points and layers (and possible other info like style, orientation...) in a CSV file, using a simple Lisp

-Open that file in Excel, copy-paste the column containing the texts in a new file

-Pass that file to a translator or maybe even to Google translate (I never tried this)

-Replace in the Excel file the column containing the text with the translation and save the file in CSV format

-Plug back the text in the drawing using an other Lisp

I used that years ago. When bringing back the text in the drawing I used different layer name so I was able to show the same drawing with the original texts or the translated ones, as requested.

How about this scenario:

-Export all the texts from the drawing along with the insertion points and layers (and possible other info like style, orientation...) in a CSV file, using a simple Lisp

-Open that file in Excel, copy-paste the column containing the texts in a new file

-Pass that file to a translator or maybe even to Google translate (I never tried this)

-Replace in the Excel file the column containing the text with the translation and save the file in CSV format

-Plug back the text in the drawing using an other Lisp

I used that years ago. When bringing back the text in the drawing I used different layer name so I was able to show the same drawing with the original texts or the translated ones, as requested.

I use a copy/paste into Babelfish translater and then copy/paste back to AutoCAD.

Next time, I'll see how that method works.

• 3 years later...