AutoCAD 2012 Running Slow...

iamthemilk

Hi guys!

Well I built a new computer at the start of the year and even though I thought it was built well to handle AutoCAD it seems to be struggling... :x

Here is a quick run down of the system:

- Intel Core i7 2600K

- ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 Motherboard

- OCZ Technology ZX Series 850W Power Supply

- Corsair Hydro Series H80 CPU Cooler

- 2x G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3 (16GB TOTAL RAM)

- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 Super Overclock

- OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Max IOPS

I've installed Windows 7 (64 bit) and AutoCAD 2012 (64 bit) on the SSD hard drive hoping they would run quicker and smoother but it doesn't seem like its helped much.

Most of my files are 1-5 mb and rarely ever over 10mb. Just 2D plans in the model space. Let me know if you require any further information..

My main problem is that it does not run smoothly. When I pan through the drawings it does not pan smooth and is constantly refreshing/lagging. When I try to dimension the numbers won't appear until I confirm the command and even then it will freeze for a second or two before AutoCAD goes back to normal. Seems like the system can not handle AutoCAD and it is always trying to keep up.

I don't know what else to do. I thought it was my old system and this one would be good enough but still it struggles. What am I doing wrong? What do I need to set up/change? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• vbaritua

• Dadgad

• iamthemilk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the forum. :)

WHIPTHREAD?

Thanks and thanks for the suggestion! I've tried bumping the value up to "3" from the default "1" following the AutoCAD HELP section. Looks like it may be a little smoother but no real noticeable difference, I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

You probably should turn on ADAPTIVE DEGRADATION, especially if you are working in 2D.

After reading through the help section I finally found the Adaptive Degradation section in AutoCAD but no I'm not sure what to leave ticked and what to untick? Currently everything is ticked in there, any suggestions? Thank's for the suggestion as well, seems like it could really help once I figure it out.

Try this test.

Temporarily disable your anti-virus program. Run AutoCAD. Any change?

I'm currently using the Microsoft Security Essentials. I've tried it disabling it but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Thanks anyway!

I don't know why but since I got back home and started up AutoCAD it was running a little smoother without trying any of the suggestions (it's like that sometimes) but I'm sure it will go back to it's lagging-self soon. I'll try the suggestions again.

:D

That is plenty of computer for 2D AutoCAD. Since it's a custom built rig then I assume no bloatware. Is all this fresh install? And are you running on a network or is everything local? 2D only, not 3D correct? Is hardware acceleration set to ON? Have you updated your graphics driver to the latest? Have you checked to see if there's a certified driver from Autodesk's Hardware List on their website? While in 3DCONFIG, have you used the "Check for Updates" tool to see if there's an update at all?

Sorry for the run-ons, just trying to narrow it down.

After reading through the help section I finally found the Adaptive Degradation section in AutoCAD but no I'm not sure what to leave ticked and what to untick? Currently everything is ticked in there, any suggestions? Thank's for the suggestion as well, seems like it could really help once I figure it out.

:D

The only one you probably need unchecked is WIREFRAME DISPLAY,

but as I believe it may already be at the bottom of the list anyway, that probably won't make a huge difference. I would still uncheck it though.

What might make an appreciable difference is changing the FPS setting from 5, which is the default, to 60 which is the highest.

These numbers represent the threshold FPS (frames per second) rate for activating the feature.

That is plenty of computer for 2D AutoCAD. Since it's a custom built rig then I assume no bloatware. Is all this fresh install? And are you running on a network or is everything local? 2D only, not 3D correct? Is hardware acceleration set to ON? Have you updated your graphics driver to the latest? Have you checked to see if there's a certified driver from Autodesk's Hardware List on their website? While in 3DCONFIG, have you used the "Check for Updates" tool to see if there's an update at all?

Sorry for the run-ons, just trying to narrow it down.

It's a pretty fresh install, about 6 months old now. I just didn't know if maybe I've possibly built the wrong computer for AutoCAD. Everything is running on my hard drive, nothing through a network or anything. Hardware Acceleration was not set to ON, I've turned it ON now. I'll also try and look for a newer driver.

I think I got it. Disable the InfoCenter or CommCenter whatever it's called.

Here is the link ReMark suggested

http://www.manusoft.com/software/freebies/misc.html

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried installed that and I'll see how it goes and if any lag builds up.

The only one you probably need unchecked is WIREFRAME DISPLAY,

but as I believe it may already be at the bottom of the list anyway, that probably won't make a huge difference. I would still uncheck it though.

What might make an appreciable difference is changing the FPS setting from 5, which is the default, to 60 which is the highest.

These numbers represent the threshold FPS (frames per second) rate for activating the feature.

I've changed the FPS from 5 to 60. I'll see how it goes.

• 1 year later...

hi.. i am working on cad 3d, artificial lighting. my cad runs slow every time i insert an artificial light. every time i orbit arround the immage it is just too "laggy" that i cant work on it any more. but rendering 3d drawings seems to be no problem. can anyone tell me what should i do or what should i change in my setting or in my hardware?

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: MSI

System Model: MS-7680

BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/27/11 14:31:21 Ver: 04.06.04

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4078MB RAM

Page File: 3118MB used, 5035MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 5500 Series

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x675F)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_675F&SUBSYS_23141787&REV_00

Display Memory: 2795 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1012 MB

Shared Memory: 1782 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: HP x2301

Monitor Id: HWP2972

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

Output Type: DVI

Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1099 (English)

Driver Version: 8.900.0.0

DDI Version: 11

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 9/16/2011 01:33:14, 867328 bytes

hi.. i am working on cad 3d, artificial lighting. my cad runs slow every time i insert an artificial light. every time i orbit arround the immage it is just too "laggy" that i cant work on it any more. but rendering 3d drawings seems to be no problem. can anyone tell me what should i do or what should i change in my setting or in my hardware?

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: MSI

System Model: MS-7680

BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/27/11 14:31:21 Ver: 04.06.04

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4078MB RAM

Page File: 3118MB used, 5035MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 5500 Series

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x675F)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_675F&SUBSYS_23141787&REV_00

Display Memory: 2795 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1012 MB

Shared Memory: 1782 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: HP x2301

Monitor Id: HWP2972

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

Output Type: DVI

Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,at icfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64 .dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a. cap,atitmm64.dll

Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1099 (English)

Driver Version: 8.900.0.0

DDI Version: 11

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 9/16/2011 01:33:14, 867328 bytes

vbaritua: Please do not double post. It is also not consider good form to hijack a thread started by another forum member. You should have started a new thread.

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled?

sorry for that. i new to this forum thing. i dont even know how to start a new thread. yes i have it turned on. i also have adaptive degredation on. is my graphic card not compatible with autocad?? or is there something wrong with my setup? thanks

I don't understand why adding a light would cause AutoCAD to lag yet you can render with no problem.

Are you current with all service packs for 2012?

i mean adding light and when i turn it to full shadow the it lags. autocad will not respond anymore. i just want to know if you can recommend a good video card for my set up. thanks in advance.

944kb sr. I am still a student, and i can only afford the most cheapest but still performs very well. I also do moderate to heavy vray rendering and photoshop.

The card I gave you the link to is inexpensive. If I pointed you to an expensive graphics card you'd choke at the asking price. I found one yesterday at $4,495. Now, does that make the other card sound expensive?