PennFoster Oleson Village Help

abysmalfall

Hello,

I've found this site extremely helpful.....and PennFoster not so much.

I was wondering if someone could critique my drawing?It "looks"like the other drawings i've seen (for the most part).It is roughly 50% complete.

Please and thank you.:)

No, it is not the preferred method for student drawings for Penn-Foster. Why? Because any other student can "borrow" your drawing and pass it off as their own. Just think of all the work you just saved someone.

The issue may have had something to do with the angle type you were using, the angle used to denote East, or the way you were entering the distances. Since we were not by your side watching what you were doing at the time we have no real idea what the problem was.

The linetype for the street centerline and the property line shouldn't be the same.

I don't agree with the way you have the sidewalk, curb and "parking strip" shown. As a matter fact I think Penn-Foster does not provide the student with the correct information for laying this out.

No, it is not the preferred method for student drawings for Penn-Foster. Why? Because any other student can "borrow" your drawing and pass it off as their own. Just think of all the work you just saved someone.

The issue may have had something to do with the angle type you were using, the angle used to denote East, or the way you were entering the distances. Since we were not by your side watching what you were doing at the time we have no real idea what the problem was.

Should I repost it as an image file?I remember reading a thread where the person posted a pdf and the reply was that the pdf was useless as far as lining it up with a known good .dwg of the project.

I think I did have it set to N at one point.I did change it and even started a new project file....still didn't work.

I did read that in one of your posts with cosme017

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Your image file can be a JPG or a PNG file. I've posted many of these types of files here.

I'm not a big fan of PDF's. I rarely if ever post anything in that format.

Regarding the parking strip, curb and sidewalk. I believe I may have expressed my thoughts in another P-F Oleson Village thread. Maybe you came across it?

Your image file can be a JPG or a PNG file. I've posted many of these types of files here.

I'm not a big fan of PDF's. I rarely if ever post anything in that format.

Regarding the parking strip, curb and sidewalk. I believe I may have expressed my thoughts in another P-F Oleson Village thread. Maybe you came across it?

Haha.Yes...I have seen the debates about the curb,parking strip and sidewalk areas.I emailed the school and received the same hand drawn sketch that I have seen on these forums in various places.

Oleson Village CadTutor-Model.jpg

I have yet to find a town or a city where the sidewalk, curb and "planting" (not parking) strip fall outside the streetline. They always fall inside the streetline. And it is called a "planting" strip because in most towns/city that's where one will find trees planted along the roadway. The project was slapped together without much thought as to what happens in the real world.

You might want to remove the DWG file in post #3.

I will take a closer look at your drawing on Monday morning and post any further comments to this thread.

Good luck and good night.

Edited by ReMark

1. You have a block named "ReMark Tree" at 0,0,0 that is very, very large in size. Delete it.

2. You have six layers set to "no print" in your Layer Properties Manager. Why wouldn't you want these particular layers to print? See below.

Aby_OlesonVillage1.jpg

3. Your linetype scales are such that something like the "center" linetype does not display correctly. You will have to change your linetype scale.

4. There are two lines where there should be only one. See below.

Aby_OlesonVillage2.jpg

5. The centerline of this road should be a curved line (arc or section of a circle) and not a straight line segment. See below.

Aby_OlesonVillage3.jpg

6. You had only one tree block inserted and it was in the wrong place. Where are your other trees?

Alright, that's my quick review.

Edited by ReMark

If one goes to the Penn-Foster website they will note that the Student Services Center is located in Scranton, PA. I visited the city's website and under the General Code found the following.

Section 412-8: Street width not less than 50 feet fence line to fence line.

Section 412-9: Sidewalk width of not less than 5 feet.

Planning and Zoning calls for a local road to have a width (street line to street line) of 50 feet with a "cartway" (meaning the paved portion) width of 26 to 32 feet. It also points out that "sidewalks shall be located within the right-of-way". The right-of-way is defined as that area that falls between the street lines. Apparently Penn-Foster is not even in conformance with the rules and regulations of the city its Student Services Center is located in. What a bunch of idiots.

P-F Civil Street lines.jpg

This is the correct way the curb, planting strip (not "parking" strip), sidewalk and buffer should be laid out. The street line width is 50 feet wide and the paved roadway is 30 feet wide. Anyone at Penn-Foster who tells you differently does not know what they are talking about.

You can point out to them that their own instructions call for the "planting/parking" strip to be between the sidewalk and the curb. It's on Page 7 of the instructions.

P-F Civil R.O.W..jpg

This is a typical 50 foot wide street cross-section using Penn-Foster's own criteria of a 1 foot buffer (between the back of walk and the street line) and 6 foot wide sidewalk. Curbs are generally 6 inches wide. The layout I have pictured allows for a vehicle parked on both sides and still accommodates two way traffic.

You can tell your instructor they can visit CADTutor and this thread to see a typical street cross-section done correctly.

I think I have some objects(probably trees)in random areas outside my main drawing area.When I zoom/extents everything disappears...like the objects are far from each other.How can I delete the random unwanted objects?I can't find them manually.

I tried saving the drawing as a block and starting a new project and adding that block.I had to add layers and reenter the text styles.Then I noticed that my main pick point was accurate but the other coordinates were off.The drawing looked correct but if I added anything new by the coordinates in the pennfoster project book they were in the wrong spot.There is also a layer that I cant delete.I tried isolating the layer...selecting all and deleting everything.I also looked for xref's and didn't see any linked to the layer.I can't get rid of it.Any ideas?

I hope you saved a copy of the original drawing before you did all that.

Yes.I still have the original.That would be disastrous!