AutoCAD 2013 3D mock exam?

damingo

Hi all,

New to this. Just wondering is there a city and guilds mock exam for Autocad 3D. I have only ever used AutoCAD to draw in 2D and used Solidworks for 3D. I got a job interview and CAD test tomorrow using AutoCAD 3D. I have taught myself using online tutorials to use it and would like to try an exam to see what I have picked up.

I have been drawing in AutoCAD 2013 3D for the past 2 days and can draw reasonably ok, I had plenty of experience with solidworks and it seems pretty similar. Only got word of the job friday needless to say its been a busy weekend.

Unfortunately I am not on my CAD computer so I cannot view your drawing. That's why I asked for an image (JPG or PNG) file.

One other thing to note, when posting an actual DWG file it is best to back save it to an earlier file format so most forum members can open it. Not everyone is running the latest version of AutoCAD. I suggest that you do a "saveas" to 2000, 2004 or 2007 file format.

Looks fairly good. Have you used any of the solids editing tools like Slice, or Move/Taper Faces, Imprint, etc.? Have you used the Sweep or PressPull commands? Do you know how to manipulate the UCS manually or via the Dynamic UCS feature?

Unfortunately I must go shortly. I wish you well in your interview however. Let us know how you did. Good luck and good night.

Yeah Ive been using all of the above commands, I was just toggling around with the ucs combo control option, little bit mind boggling at the begging but there are some pretty good tutorials on youtube that helped my out.

Thanks for the boost of confidence man. Ill keep ya posted.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum. :)

Have you had a chance to use the VIEWBASE command yet?

If not I suggest you check it out.

It looks like your 3D skills are probably pretty good, but how would you create 2D representations of your work?

The VIEWBASE command would create those for you.

Do you use the VIEWPORT CONTROLS in the upper left hand corner of any viewport?

They are a good and convenient way to configure viewports, visual styles and perspectives.

Do you know how to determine what DRAWING UNITS have been used in a drawing?

Check out the -DWGUNITS command. Hit F2 to view your commandline history while using that command.

You are going to do great. :D

Hey man,

Thanks for passing on your viewbase knowledge, very handy command. I was just using the viewports but this way seems to work better.

Interview and test is not til 5 this eve so i'll keep drawing til then. Its with intel and apparently if your successful with the interview and test they will send you on a 3 week CAD course anyway, so I'm thinking this test they're gona give me will basic as **** just to see if I can use the software.

Don't give up on viewports they are definitely very important, it just depends on what you are trying to do.

But just in case they should want you to whip out a quick set of views of a 3D model, you need to be ready to use that.

Have you also explored the SECTION and DETAIL functions in VIEWBASE?

By right clicking on the LAYOUT tab you can set the Drafting Standard PROJECTION TYPE to whichever is appropriate where you are.

Remember that if there are any questions about UNITS, the -DWGUNITS command is your best friend.

You're gonna do great, but don't get cocky now, there are plenty of folks who are quite good with this software. :|

drafting standard projection type.JPG

Got the job.

Thanks for the support.

Congratulations, very happy for you, you have put a big smile on my face. :D

Now you need to really get busy, and put the pedal to the metal, so that when you are in

your course you will be ready to help your instructors with any problems they might be having. :huh:

There are no limits. Blow their minds. :beer:

So how was the test part?

Edited by Dadgad