How can I download the "holes" function in AutoCAD 2013 student version?

knattagh

I am trying to add holes for screws to go into on my object.

Does anyone know what I should do?

If I need a download can you please tell me which one I need.

Thanks

AutoCAD does not have a tool for sizing holes based on fasteners - you will have to model them the old fashion way - Extrude or Revolve and Subtract or Presspull.

You should be learning one of the next-generation tools like Autodesk Inventor.

Holes.png

Because I got Autodesk inventor fusion and the only options it is giving me for holes are:

SImple, counter bore, counter sunk, depth, diamter, and angle. It says nothing about fastner type.

Thank you!

So AutoDesk professional will allow me to make holes with grooves for screws?

No, it is not called AutoCAD Professional. There is AutoCAD and then there is Inventor. Both are AutoDesk programs but that is where the similarity ends. They are two entirely different programs. As previously stated AutoCAD does not have the feature you are looking for however Inventor does.

So AutoDesk professional will allow me to make holes with grooves for screws?

Autodesk Inventor Professional will add "cosmetic threads" - simplified bitmap representations.

If you want true helical cut threads you will need to model them with the Coil command - just like out on the shop floor.

You can do the same thing in AutoCAD with the Helix and Sweep and Subtract commands.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/CAD238/AutoCAD%202007%20Tutorial%204.pdf

Thank you all so much for your posts

I recently got Autodesk inventor 2013 student version and now I have rebuilt my object and am trying to put threaded holes in it.

Although, the ok button is greyed out. Some other people have had this problem too and they have solved it via forums but I do not understand what they mean. Could you please tell me how I can get the button to not be greyed out.

Thanks again

I have attached them here. This is much appreciated.

Attach your ipt file here.

Attach screen shot of this dialog with a greyed out OK button (does the dialog box have a name?).

holesscrnshot.jpg[ATTACH]37606

Here is the file

[/ATTACH]

slide base.ipt

Edited by knattagh

You do not have any Sketch Points in your sketch for Inventor to Placement From Sketch.

(I enlarged centermark point in image).

Center Points.PNG

Also your Sketch1 is not constrained and it would make sense for the origin to be in the center of the part since the part is symmetrical.

I recommend you read this http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

Wow thank you so much sir.

If I may ask 1 more question:

I have made a whole of 0.086in and sketched a circle of 0.086 inch but as you can see in the image i attached they do not seem to match. Should I ignore this? I had assumed the problem lied in the fact that screws have major and minor diameters but 0.086 is the major diameter so it still does not make sense to me.

Also,

The link you sent me for skillsUSA and learning how to do constraints does not work. But, if the link is about how to do constraints I can just scour the web and I am sure to find it.

Thanks again so much!!

I just tested the link and it does work. You just have to give it a minute before you will see the results on your screen. This appears at the top of the first page:

SkillsUSA University

60 AUTODESK INVENTOR TIPS IN 60 MINUTES

J.D. Mather – Pennsylvania College of Technology

For educators and students in mechanical design.

A rapid paced delivery of the top tips and tricks gathered from years of experience teaching Autodesk Inventor software. Looking for that one class that will justify your travel to SkillsUSA University - if you teach mechanical design/drafting using Autodesk Inventor - this is it. After this class, when you return to your home school you will be referred to as the Inventor Guru.

1 p.m., Big Joe Turner A.

When you use the threaded Hole command - it gives you the correct size hole - the tap drill sized hole (but I would never ever use a #2 thread - that is eyeglasses hinge small) the machinist will hate you. But if that is what you need...

If you the hole the same size as the fastener there would be no material for the thread helix - the fastener would simpy fall into the hole. This is a common mistake that beginners make (not using tap-drill size for threaded holes).

This is absolutely one mistake you don't want to make when you get out into the real world. It will take months if not years or forever to get credibility back if you make theaded holes too big for the threads.