URGENT!!! Drawings (DWG) - Unable to open - URGENT!

waelali

Hi and thanks for reading, hope you can help... new job, new problem!

At work they use Autocad 2012. I asked for a few dwg files to be emailed to me so I could work on them at home. I have version 2013. I was not able to open the files so emailed them to friend to open in his 2012 version, and save. He had no issue with opening them so saved and simply emailed them back to me.

My friend also sent me an additional file. After opening one of my files, he copied one of the layers from a drawing and pasted it into a blank dwg file, saved it and emailed it to me. This file I CAN open.

Still however I cannot open the other original files.

When I go to the files in Windows Explorer I can see the preview of them, but no matter what I do, drag and drop, open through explorer or Autocad, they simply refuse to open. I get no error messages, nothing. Just a blank 'drawing 1' page.

I have tested other dwg files that I have, that I had previously created using 2008 and they open in Autocad, no problem at all.

As it's a new job, I'm eager to get this sorted out asap and I'm totally frustrated.

Any ideas? Many thanks!!

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest doing an EXPORT TO AUTOCAD of an earlier version. I've ran into this before and an EXPORT has almost always fixed it. Granted, I'm not running 2013 so I'm not sure if this is feasible for you.

Looks like Autocad strikes again.

Download Draftsight so you have another cad system on your machine- this may help because draftsight allows you to save to a different version.

Also you could try the 'recover' command.

All I can think of

I usually have the latest "DWG TrueView" which is free

I use it to view, measure ,plot, batch plot and save to lower CAD versions if needed

only downside its a bit big

Grant: How is AutoCAD different from DraftSight when it comes to saving?

Just because it is a different cad system - it may tweek the drawing in opening and saving and may get rid of the 'bug' in the drawing that is not allowing the '2013' acad version to open it.

Just a thought

Yes, Draftsight is different but it is an AutoCAD clone because it reads and writes to the DWG file standard. I don't see where there would be much room for tweaking. I have Draftsight and AutoCAD on three different computers and I have yet to open a drawing in Draftsight that I could not open in AutoCAD. Maybe your experience has been different. If so could you please elaborate?

I usually have the latest "DWG TrueView" which is free

I use it to view, measure ,plot, batch plot and save to lower CAD versions if needed

only downside its a bit big

This would be my recommendation as well "DWG TrueView 2013"

Yes, Draftsight is different but it is an AutoCAD clone because it reads and writes to the DWG file standard. I don't see where there would be much room for tweaking. I have Draftsight and AutoCAD on three different computers and I have yet to open a drawing in Draftsight that I could not open in AutoCAD. Maybe your experience has been different. If so could you please elaborate?

No - I have not had anything different but he may be able to open the 2008 drawing and save it to 2004 or something with draftsight to imitate what his workmate did at work and not have to buy/install Acad 2008. May work or may not but possibly an option?

He doesn't have to buy 2008. He can download, for free, DWG TrueView which he can use to open the file then save it back to a different version file format.

He doesn't have to buy 2008. He can download, for free, DWG TrueView which he can use to open the file then save it back to a different version file format.

Good - two possible ways to do exactly the same thing!