RomableRootFolder

salmonrose

What I use: AutoCad Civil3D 2012

My issue with RoamableRootFolder:

Since starting with Civil3D 2012, I noticed %RoamableRootFolder% folders are being created in places which I don't want to see them...

I'm working on three projects and each has a "Working Drawing" folder. After I make changes and saves a drawing, the RoamableRootFolder appears which is empty so I keep deleting it. It is annoying to see the RoamableRootFolder in all my projects' "Working Drawing" folder when it is just an empty folder doing nothing?

I only use some of the most basic function of AutoCAD and Civil3D. If there is a way to avoid the RoamableRootFolder from being created, please help me.

Thank you so much.

AFAIK, RoamableRootFolder has nothing to do with Civil 3D, or AutoCAD OOTB... I'm inclined to suggest that you check for hidden, read-only, or system files (i.e., Acad[.lsp [.fas]], or AcadDoc[.lsp [.fas]] ).

Out of curiosity, and presuming (vl-load-com) has been called... If you copy and paste this at the command line, what is returned?

(vl-directory-files "[b][color=red]YourFilePath[/color][/b]\\RoamableRootFolder" nil 0)

hi RenderMan,

Sorry took me abit long to reply. First, I tried the code you listed above and got "nil". So what does this mean? :P

Second, regarding your suggestion to check for hidden, read-only, or system file ... what does that mean? Sorry I am such a newb about AutoCAD.

(ie, where should I look? What folder would I find those .lsp .fas file? And when if I find them, then what?)

You got 'nil' because the file in question has nothing to do with AutoCad, and it is not one of your AutoCad support files, nor is it created by AutoCad. A similar "folder" is probably appearing in other places when you run other programs as well.

A file/directory path with % signs in it, or any other special charcters, or an icon with little gears on it, or a file in a color other than your normal Windows font color indicates a Windows Operating system generated file or folder. The %Roamable% stuff is one of these, but it is temporary. Temporary system files use % among other symbols as level separators in the path name.

You cannot stop it from being created, but you can stop it from being visible.

Go to Windows Control panel - Folder Options. These are global settings so they will affect every folder view on your computer and your computer's view of your network files.

On the view tab you will find a long list of options with check boxes. Look for two options, "Do Not Show hidden files and folders" and "Hide Protected Operating System Files". Make sure to select both of those options. This will do three things for you.

1. It will reduce the chance you might accidentally damage or delete a system file. 2. It will allow you to forget about these types of files because you won't be able to see them any more.

3. You now have the chance to wonder who has been mucking about your computer and messing about in the advanced settings area.

If none of the above is helping, then either you are viewing your folder with AutoCad still running, or in your options panel, someone has selected to not delete temporary files upon closing the program.

Hi Dana W,

Thanks for the detail explaination. I understand the deal regarding hidden files and folders so that part is good. I do have one question regarding your very last comment:

If none of the above is helping, then either you are viewing your folder with AutoCad still running, or in your options panel, someone has selected to not delete temporary files upon closing the program.

If it is true that temporary files are NOT being deleted upon closing the program, is there a way to turn "on" this feature again? If so, may I know how?

Thanks.

%RoamableRootFolder% == HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R##.#\ACAD-#000:###\RoamableRootFolder

This is a registry key, which corresponds to a single directory location; one, uno, un... Not multiple, actual folders. It's a variable, with one value that doesn't change (although it can be). By default, unless changed by CAD Admin to network, etc.., the OOTB value is:

%AppData%\Autodesk\<YourVersion>\enu\

I have never heard of an actual ..\RoamableRootFolder\ _ever_ being created on any user's computer, let alone in each project being worked on... I would love some clarification from someone who has, as this folder contains several megabytes of data that AutoCAd requires to run properly.

ct_ootb.roamablerootfolder.png

I have never heard of an actual ..\RoamableRootFolder\ _ever_ being created on any user's computer, let alone in each project being worked on... I would love some clarification from someone who has, as this folder contains several megabytes of data that AutoCAd requires to run properly.

Each of the %RomableRootFolder% is empty ... sorft of. Each of them has 2 other empty folders inside:

RomableRootFolder/support/actions

Hi Dana W,

Thanks for the detail explaination. I understand the deal regarding hidden files and folders so that part is good. I do have one question regarding your very last comment:

If it is true that temporary files are NOT being deleted upon closing the program, is there a way to turn "on" this feature again? If so, may I know how?

Thanks.

Oh well.

After reading RenderMan's responses, I realised I had something missconstrued enough to make my response prettry much nonsense.

Also, There is no switch in AutoCad for turning on or off the deletion of temporary files. I was thinking of another program's advanced properties.

That makes me 0 for 2 on this one. That's what I get for going back to work and having to be out of the house by 5:30 am. Losing too much sleep during the week.

This must be an internal customization... Who setup your profile?

Our IT. Our company outsourced all IT work to a local company which is in the process of switching all of us to use VM-Ware. I believe the mysterious %RomableRootFolder% issue starts shortly after I started using a VM-Ware "box".

(I don't know muc about the "box". All I know is, I don't have a real computer anymore and everything is 'on the network'.)

Do you use AcadDoc.lsp?

What's that? If I don't know it most likely mean I am not using it?

This could also be a .NET plug-in.

I'll keep this in mind and talk to our IT guy when I see him next time.

Dana: I understand what you mean. No one seems to get enough sleep any more ...

If AcadDoc.lsp is being loaded than pasting this at the command line, and hitting Enter will tell you where it (AcadDoc.lsp) resides:

(findfile "AcadDoc.lsp")