Advice on how to make simple through holes in 3D Modelling Space

Hatman

Hi,

I have Autocad 2013. This is probably going to sound really stupid but I am having some problem trying to put simple through holes in a 3D drawing I am doing. I have a 2D drawing of a round plate with four holes in it. I want to render this in 3D and make the plate 12 mm thick and show the 4 holes which go through it, simple right?

Following the video tutorials in Autocad 2013 I have changed to 3D modelling space, activated the SW Isometric view, Extruded the plate and made it 12 mm thick, all good so far. Now the problems....

I am able to extrude or push pull the holes and are able to create what appear to be the four holes in wireframe layout and when I change the setting to conceptual, the plate renders beautifully but the holes show nothing except a circle on the plate surface with no through hole. Change back to wireframe view and they are there! I am sure I am following all the correct steps. What am I doing wrong?? Appreciate any step by step advice. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have Autocad 2013. This is probably going to sound really stupid but I am having some problem trying to put simple through holes in a 3D drawing I am doing. I have a 2D drawing of a round plate with four holes in it. I want to render this in 3D and make the plate 12 mm thick and show the 4 holes which go through it, simple right?

Following the video tutorials in Autocad 2013 I have changed to 3D modelling space, activated the SW Isometric view, Extruded the plate and made it 12 mm thick, all good so far. Now the problems....

I am able to extrude or push pull the holes and are able to create what appear to be the four holes in wireframe layout and when I change the setting to conceptual, the plate renders beautifully but the holes show nothing except a circle on the plate surface with no through hole. Change back to wireframe view and they are there! I am sure I am following all the correct steps. What am I doing wrong?? Appreciate any step by step advice. Thanks in advance.

were you able to subtract the holes from the plate?

Yes mate, but with the plate 12 mm thick of course. If I go to the solid subtract button and follow the steps I got it happening, thanks ;)

and have written the process for future reference. :D

Written the process?

Presspull. That's it, done.

You have draw a rectangle.

You draw circles.

Presspull and click in area between the rectangle and circles and drag direction and type distance.

Enter.

Thanks JD, I did try the presspull and Wallaah!! Thank you mate. And yes REMark I did write the process down so I could look smart to my teenage kids :) Some of us do not use AutoCad too reguarly and I am learning to reride the horse again and having a lot of fun. Always appreciate the quickest way.

I figured out how to do something once and then lost my instructions for 3 years till one day I opened an old book for a previous release and found I had used it for a page marker.

Nothing wrong with that although they are probably smarter than both of us and would have figured it out in about 5 seconds. LoL Have fun!