Calculate conversion factor

SUNNY60

Hi Good Morning, I dont understand how to calulate in AutoCAD the Conversion factor. I need to calculate the complete Building Floor and I try the field command in AutoCAD, But I dont know what I should write to conversion factor. Please can you tell me the conversion factor.

Thanks

SUNNY60

Edited by Tiger

Hi Sunny60,

I moved your question to its own thread.

Please explain more about what you're after - what are converting from and to?

Are you calculating the area of a floor plan?

Is the drawing done in metric and you're trying to convert to imperial or vice versa?

Hi Thanks for your responed, Am working on Building and I need to calculate the area with the Field Command from AutoCAD, so I went to Field, Field Category , Objects type, Additional Format and Conversion Factor. I just want to know which conversion factor do I need to st it if want all to be calculate in Sq M for me.

Thank you

Sunny

That would make sense based upon your request for square meters.

I don't do metric drawings so I don't know what the normal output is. See my last post.

Typically, if it has not been changed, the output will be in mms, either square or cubic.

The default units for a metric (iso) template are mms.

If you move the decimal point 6 places to the left you will have converted it from square mms to square meters.

Did you draw this in 4D?

And here I thought metric was supposed to be easy to work with.

It is. Litres, metres, millimetres...it all makes perfect sense! However, golf should always be measured in yards and I drive in miles. Oh yeah, I also like a quater pounder, no "Royale with cheese" here ;-)

Assuming everything is drawn full size, a useful cheat is to hatch the area in question and then use the LIST command to determine the area of the hatching. I use this for determining areas of multiple complex shapes.

I'm not saying it's quicker, but I'm paid by the hour. So I hope not.

I presume it gives the answer in whatever units you have set. So mine would be in square millimetres, because all my dimensions are entered as millimeters, and I'd have to convert by 10^-6 for square metres.

I take it the OP knows his basic floor size, so already knows the area roughly, and how to recognise a stupid answer.

I work in imperial units. As a matter of fact I'm working on a layout for a small addition to a process area right now. When I query AutoCAD for the area this is what I get back after making my pick:

Area = 28800.00 square in. (200.0000 square ft.), Length = 40'-0"

I get both square inches and square feet. Doesn't AutoCAD do the same when one is working in metric units?

Hi ReMark, Good Morning, Please kindly explain how to calculate ceilling area. I have calculated the gross internal area of each floor and I need to know how to calculate the ceilling area.

I work in imperial units. As a matter of fact I'm working on a layout for a small addition to a process area right now. When I query AutoCAD for the area this is what I get back after making my pick:

Area = 28800.00 square in. (200.0000 square ft.), Length = 40'-0"

I get both square inches and square feet. Doesn't AutoCAD do the same when one is working in metric units?

Working in Metric on Autocad, this is what the response to the AREA command looks like. No units mentioned, derived from the data base drawing units (-DWGUNITS). In my case those would be square millimeters.

area enquiry.JPG