Setup drawing direction in 3D, how to draw from an angle

richarda2012

Hi,

I would like to draw from the side, especially circles to extrude. see my pic below. my current view only allows to pull circles up etc. I don't want to rotate all the time.

how to you set this looking angle up?

Many thanks,

drawing direction.fw.png

You can set your UCSFOLLOW to 1, Use DYNAMIC UCS or change your views by using the VIEW toolbar or the VIEWPORT CONTROLS in the upper left corner of your viewport.

Or you can use the UCS command and the FACE option to align your UCS to the model.

You might want to check out this tutorial http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/ucs.php

Edited by Dadgad

Thank you,

I looked at UCS into greater depth and have changed the X,Y,Z plain, I can now draw in the direction needed.

Is this the best way to draw? (i am not sure)

I prefer to manually set the UCS to the desired plane and then draw. I think (read: feel) that with working in and around intricate parts it will prevent user error.

There is nothing more rage inducing that working on a complex part to find that one of your points was off and you 'twisted' the solid about 100 steps back.

I prefer to manually set the UCS to the desired plane and then draw. I think (read: feel) that with working in and around intricate parts it will prevent user error.

There is nothing more rage inducing that working on a complex part to find that one of your points was off and you 'twisted' the solid about 100 steps back.

I agree. Now me personally havent used Dynamic anything much. I guess just because i learned with ACAD2001 and that didnt exsist then, and this is the first company that i drafted for that actually used a newer release.