AC 2013 EULA - Install on 2 Computers (Max)

Bill Tillman

We just purchased two (2) new AC 2013 seats for this office. We purchased the subscriptions for each as well. As I understand it, we can install each copy on two (2) separate computers as long as we are not running them simultaneously. For example, I do lot's of after hours work at my home and I need to be using the same version of AutoCAD for this. The IT guys are not convinced that we're allowed to do this. As I can only work on one machine at a time am I safe in assuming that this is legal? The boss wants me to take full advantage of the investment.

Go to Help>About AutoCAD>Product Information and click on License Agreement (or something like that).

and/or contact your VAR.

The Activation Request Code is generated by the computer and the Activation Code is assigned uniquely to that computer.

Keep in mind that if you have a HDD crash or some other reason to need 3rd activation - this will require a phone call to Autodesk and could be a hassle to resolve.

I've been doing this for years since I telecommute one day a week and I have never had a problem. I always double-check with my authorized reseller too.

Print out the EULA and direct them to Exhibit B., paragraph 1.

1. Stand-alone (Individual) License. If the License Identification identifies the License Type as a “Stand-alone License” or as an “Individual License,” Licensee may Install a single primary copy of the specific release of the Licensed Materials designated in the applicable License Identification on one (1) Computer, on a Stand-alone Basis, and permit Access to such primary copy of the Licensed Materials solely by Licensee’s Personnel, and solely for Licensee’s Internal Business Needs. Licensee may also Install a single additional copy of such Licensed Materials on one (1) additional Computer, on a Stand-alone Basis; provided that (i) such additional copy of the Licensed Materials is Accessed solely by the same person as the primary copy; (ii) such person is Licensee (if Licensee is an individual) or an employee of Licensee; (iii) such person Accesses the additional copy solely to perform work while away from that person’s usual work location and solely for Licensee’s Internal Business Needs; and (iv) the primary and additional copies are not Accessed at the same time. Stand-alone (Individual) License is for a perpetual term, except as otherwise provided in this Agreement.

This is from AutoCAD 2013 EULA.

Apart from that Subscription has a Home Use agreement available. So you could go either route and get setup the way you want. Login to Subscription, pick Contract Administration, scroll down to Home Use...

Edited by rkent
added words

• 3 months later...

Just a quick word of warning from someone going through an Autodesk audit. Make sure to track and manage your different serial numbers well during upgrades.

One of the things we are being penalized for is the over install of one of our serial numbers. At the time of installation, we had 7 seats of 2010 with the same serial number. So we had 7 work installations, and I think 4 installations for outside the office. Like mentioned above.

Where our problem relates, is after going through the bad economy and downsizing, we decided to drop 4 of our licenses at the 2013 subscription to in-active. So what that evidently did was break up that old installation sets serial number and reduce that serial number's quantity to 3 installations. Even though since last January we have re-activated and upgraded 2 of the 4 additional licenses. The 2 additional that we reactivated then got a new serial number each. So in addition to what I explain below, the workstation at work and the workstation at home will need to have new serial numbers re-synced somehow.

So right now, in autodesk's view, we would have 3 seats on serial number "A", 1 seat on serial number "B" and 1 seat on serial number "C" based on our 2013 licensing. (5 total licenses)

So currently, our 3 installs of 2010, 2 installs of 2012, and one machine that actually had both 2010 & 2012. which violates the quantity of (3) 2010 installs for that 2010 serial number.

In the end, I thought we were over a Autocad and an Autocad lt license and I was trying to get my IT lead to understand that, but were are getting penalized for 2 autocad and 1 Autocad lt licenses.

If you are on subscription you get one seat in the office and one home licence. We are on subscription with several seats and I always make the point of activating home licences through my dealer with an appropriate email quoting that it is a home licence. It needs that the home computer is not connected to the internet when AutoCAD is installed otherwise it activates itself automatically. I've done this now since 2007 and can prove all of my installations are legal.

Bill, you are right, but create a perfect amount of documentation to prove what you have done is legal. yrnomad has had Autodesk on his back and that is something you don't want. On problems with installation I have always contacted Autodesk and asked them for their help and have always got it. At least once a year I get a telephone call from Autodesk with some trivial question, but because I have my document trail I can always truthfully answer their question. Keep it clean and honest and you will never have a problem. I do it exactly the same as ReMark and have no problems at all.

Excellent points on documentation. We've got staff who have acted on their own, and our IT lead and I have been trying to reign in who has access to that installation info. It just takes one loose canon to get you fined!

In past discussions with Autodesk and our reseller, we understood the work & home installation options. Also that, we could install a version up to 3 back from what our subscription was licensed for. i.e. for 2013 we could still install 2010 if we liked it better.

(we have folks that don't like change, so we don't upgrade the installations very often and it's even harder to get them to bring in their home system)

We got caught at a time when too many departments added at the same time and someone who used to handle software installations dipped there hand in the cookie jar so to speak when they were told not to anymore.

On the audit front. I've found it very vague as far as why they have come to the conclusions on the data they have, based on the instructions we were given on providing them data. We are not allowed to have our reseller in the conference call with us when talking to the auditors. ...kind of like being under interrogation without your legal counsel. They just want the fine paid, whether as a fine or buying product, so we are buying product.

I was able to clear up the fact that they were treating two unrelated companies in different sections of the country as one. So they ended up dropping about 65% of the penalty.

Most of this has already been well spoken, so the only minor aspect that I can offer... Rather than attempt to navigate the muddy waters of having IT allow install of one license on an Office computer, and another on my personal computer at home, I was able to successfully convince management to purchase us (at least my fellow CAD Leads, and I) laptops... What this allows, among several things, is for me to 'check out' a license, have my full work environment available (even if _not_ on VPN, which suck; thank you Offline Files!), etc..

Even if only a small investment is being made, for yourself Bill, and perhaps a select few others, I highly recommend using a laptop in lieu of PC... Further, I really enjoy my 17" Dell Precision M6600 Laptop (even when not docked with my dual monitors). The M6700 I just speced out for a coworker is even faster, thanks to the doubling of RAM (16GB me, 32GB him), and his new SSD.